Change font size
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:33 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 7   [ 69 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: LEGO Minifigure Change
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:00 pm 
Mould Mason
Mould Mason

I agree too, I wonder why they decided to make 'em in China?

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:24 pm 
Crucible King
Crucible King

Daken the Bladesmith wrote:
I agree too, I wonder why they decided to make 'em in China?

China = Cheap labor. :\ In Denmark, the people are like us, i.e. demand justifiably higher pay.

So, to put it simply:

China = Cheap labor, lower quality, workers care less. My friend and fellow writer Quillmaster, on Castle World, who runs a business in China, says that LEGO isn't really available in China. So, what do the Chinese care?

Denmark = "Only the best is good enough." LEGO is to Denmark what twinkies are to the US, or fast cars to Italians. :9 It's a matter of pride. If it's made in Denmark, count on it being of the highest quality.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:22 pm 
Smelt Sire
Smelt Sire

Napoleon wrote:
China = Cheap labor, lower quality, workers care less. My friend and fellow writer Quillmaster, on Castle World, who runs a business in China, says that LEGO isn't really available in China. So, what do the Chinese care?

The Chinese plant does not use a different plastic to save on production costs. The reason Chinese production began was to open up more capacity for producing parts (with lower labor costs possibly being another unstated reason). The use of different materials was an unfortunate consequence of Chinese manufacturing laws which require a certain amount of the materials for production to come from domestic sources. Despite being a separate plastic, most Chinese parts are still made from ABS in as close a formulation as is possible to that used in LEGO's other production facilities around the globe. Lego isn't the type of company to just dummie down their product since they are the company that is quality and customer service first.

In general, almost all current sets include parts produced in Denmark, Hungary, and the Czech Republic. This includes recent BIONICLE/Hero Factory sets which are produced only in these locations. Other LEGO sets (such as those from the Atlantis theme) usually include parts produced in Mexico and China. The Collectible Minifigures are produced in China and China alone. Other parts that are known (or at least, widely assumed) to be produced in China are specially-painted parts or parts with complex printing. These parts are usually individually packed in tiny plastic bags inside a set. Examples include the Rock Monsters from the Power Miners theme, the specialized head pieces from the Toy Story theme, and the treasure rings from the Atlantis theme.

-Omi

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:33 pm 
Mould Mason
Mould Mason

Where did you get this information Omi?

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:54 pm 
Smelt Sire
Smelt Sire

Where did you get this information Omi?

Eurobricks is a very knowledgeable forum, taken from a member who quite literally knows his stuff.

-Omi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:28 am 
Mould Mason
Mould Mason

I haven't visited their forum yet. Thanx for the info!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:37 pm 
Crucible King
Crucible King

Omicron wrote:
-snip-

Wow, very informative; thanks for posting!

Omicron wrote:
The use of different materials was an unfortunate consequence of Chinese manufacturing laws which require a certain amount of the materials for production to come from domestic sources.

Badda bing! This is exactly what me an S133 were getting at. Why use China when they have those laws? Frankly, I think it's stupid; since quality is so important to LEGO, why take chances? Why not use Norway, England, or some other country in Denmark's immediate vicinity to assure quality? China deters me from purchasing items like the pirate and castle battlepacks, items I would have bought if they were Danish, and not Chinese clothes-hangar plastic, i.e. pirate battlepack redcoats that are semi-translucent. When I see "Denmark, Hungary, and the Czech Republic" printed on the side of the box, I beam with joy. When I see "Mexico," I could go either way. I haven't had any real problems with Mexican parts to my knowledge. When I see "China," I go "Uh-oh..." Nothing against the Chinese of course, but we all know about infamous Chinese plastic...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:29 pm 
Hammer Ace
Hammer Ace

It can even be seen in other types of models. Trumpeter Scale Models, made in China, clearly have much lower mold quality than Tamiya, wich is a Japanese company. Of course there are always exceptions and I've yet to buy any of the PotC sets, so I can't speak for china specific lego products. I have noticed a slight downscale in quality of some elements, though, mainly torsos and legs.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:41 pm 
Mould Mason
Mould Mason

Well said Napoleon, too bad we can't do anything about it...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:36 pm 
Crucible King
Crucible King

Well said Napoleon, too bad we can't do anything about it...

Danke! We can! Boycott the battlepacks like I do. :)

sentinal133 wrote:
It can even be seen in other types of models. Trumpeter Scale Models, made in China, clearly have much lower mold quality than Tamiya, wich is a Japanese company. Of course there are always exceptions and I've yet to buy any of the PotC sets, so I can't speak for china specific lego products. I have noticed a slight downscale in quality of some elements, though, mainly torsos and legs.

Yep, on whole, Chinese plastic is worse than any other kind. I wish they'd consider how much people hate their products and try to do a better job.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 7   [ 69 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next