Change font size
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:01 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 27 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Route 66: Logs from the Journey to San Francisco
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:44 pm 
Mould Mason
Mould Mason

OH... did I completely miss that...? wow I think I need to slow down a little when I read :D

Post subject: Re: We, The Survivors
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:08 pm 
Smelt Sire
Smelt Sire

Day 333: Three threes. Man it's been a long time.

We haven't seen anybody or anything alive, although we've really just been hanging around this condo we found. It's a really nice here, although some of the windows are broken. Nothing to report, so I'm just going to go to bed now. We'll probably be moving on tomorrow morning if we don't find anything.

Day 336: Been three days. We're on the road again. Didn't find anything else in Los Angeles, other than a dead dog and some 2 litres of Ginger Ale. There was so much more we could've gleaned from the city, but the SUV's already packed so high and tight we barely have enough room as it is. We're going to head to Pheonix Arizona, because that's the most populous place we could think of that's close by.

I hope we'll find somebody there. I really hope we do.

Day 337: We've only been able to go at about 10MPH. These roads are so horrible we can barely make that. We've alreay been driving for two straight days and we've barely made any headway. What's worse, somebody's following us. I don't have any binoculars, so I can't see them, but I saw headlights last night about twelve miles behind us. I'm worried. We've also had to avoid several sets of spikerails that somebody laid out. They're old, and dust has blown over them from the surrounding desert, but they can still puncture a tire pretty easily. We don't have a spare. We're praying every few hours now. I hope we'll make Pheonix by the day after tomorrow if nothing happens (which I doubt).

Day 343: We almost made it to Pheonix by the evening of day 338, miraculously, only to find that the whole place is infested with Them. Even from about fifty miles away, we heard some of the loudest shrieking and chanting we've ever heard. It was so dark we couldn't see a thing, and there were clouds covering up the sky. We took a side road and attempted to give the city a wide berth, but we ended up getting lost when the road broke off at a destroyed overpass. What's worse, one of the tires got punctured and a fuel line got ripped when we ran over some spikes I didn't see. Seems like things got a whole lot worse in a very short time.

Well, we spent the night in the SUV, then in the morning (since we considered the vehicle useless at that point) we loaded up our backpacks with as many supplies as we could and set off south (I think) down the road that went under the overpass. I can't tell where we are on the map, but I assume we're pretty far away from Pheonix because I can't hear any chanting (other than a few shrieks in the hills to the north).

Lindy held the kid's hand, but none of us talked. Losing the SUV was losing something that plays a pivotal role in our survival. I just hope God gets us through the next few days until we can find somewhere to hide out and recharge our batteries.

We're spending the night in a canyon off the side of the road, ate dinner cold and didn't start a fire. We want to attract as little attention as possible.

I read the kid some from the book of John (he especially liked 3:16, and I know why) because Lindy went to sleep early, and we prayed for a while. I let him give it a try, and he did really well. He seems to be able to talk to God straight from his heart with no trouble at all, which I sometimes have a hard time doing out loud. I love that kid like a son, and so do Joe and Lindy. We all love him, and he loves us. That's something special.

I'm hearing shrieks and chanting pretty loud now; They must be having some sort of ritual or something because I can see the glow of fire up in those bluffs. Something's up. I just hope they don't start hanging out with The Others too much... that would be disastrous. I'm really worried now.

God help us.

Day 345: The road's getting rougher and rougher as we go along. We crossed a crazy unstable bridge over a canyon yesterday and Joe almost fell off. The kid just takes all of it in with quiet passiveness, but I know that he's really scared inside.

I don't know what They're up to now. The chanting's never been so loud, and the shrieking's only just started to subside a little. Something's up, I know that. They've had the fires going night and day, and when fumings come they don't even stop. The smoke's starting to get heavy because the wind's blowing down out of the north pretty hard. I gave the kid his gasmask and he wears it almost all the time now. Fumings have never been so bad, it must be the desert or the type of sand. All the road signs around here are either burnt up or scratched over, and we keep passing more and more spikes in the road. I actually stepped on one that was hidden and it punctured the sole of my boot.

At one point today the kid grabbed my hand and pointed at a ridge to the south. There were six of Them, all in their robes, holding hands and looking at us without moving. Pretty soon they started hopping on their toes in unison and chanting. I can never tell what they say, but Joe said it sounded like broken Spanish.

Nothing else to say. We've still got enough food for about two more weeks, although our water supply is dwindling. I should've though about that more.

I know now that we can't rely on coming to a city without counting the fact that They'll be there...

They'll be there.

Day 347: We had a run-in with one of Them yesterday. Joe shot it with the M16, and I smashed its face with the butt of the shotgun, but only after it had jumped off a rock with a knife and grabbed Lindy's throat. I don't want to go into detail of what we found after we stripped it of its robe, but let's just say it's definitely a human. A few facts about Them:

1. All of Them have their thumbs cut off at the base.

2. Their hands are red because of some sort of burn. It smelled a lot like Chipotle peppers, and that freaked Joe out for some reason.

3. Their irises are yellow and their eyelids are red, and they water a lot.

4. Their teeth are all filed so they're short and sharp.

5. They're not invincible. That's my favourite. I don't know if they can be over-powered, but they can be killed, and I'm very thankful for that.

Lindy said she saw one of Them down in another canyon we crossed earlier today. I didn't see it, but I believe her. She's got the M1A1, but she said she didn't have a clear shot. Besides, we don't want to waste any more ammo.

Day 348: We came to a little town today. I didn't hear any chanting, so we went in. The whole place was completely ransacked. We're in enemy territory now, and it's not Them. It's The Others. There were profanities sprayed on all of the walls of the buildings with red spray-paint, so it's obviously not Them. The town stank too. I didn't like that. We moved on as fast as we could, so I'm not sure if we were spotted. We're praying night and day now, and I just hope we weren't spotted.

God help us if we were.

Day 354: Six days. Shorter than it's seemed.

The kid had to leave his giraffe behind, because it's too big to carry. He didn't have any trouble leaving it. He said it wasn't as important as his teddy bear.

We came to another little town today. The Others haven't been there, but someone has. All of stores were ransacked, and some of the houses were burned, but the Library was intact, and all the books were still there. I was glad of that, because I got a few books on earth gases, cannibalism, survival and self-defence.

Joe's been getting into the habit of making random weapons for us. He's already made a startlingly accurate bow and arrows, and a few pairs of bolas for us. Lindy's gotten really good at throwing them, and she claims they're strong enough to cut through human flesh. That could prove useful at some point.

The last few days and nights have been uneventful, but there's always the ever-present chanting and shrieking in the hills. It's stayed at fever pitch for the past seven days, and the fires are raging like never before (that's partially due to the startling amount of firestorms that have come through the area over the past few days). I think I know where we are on the map, and it seems as though we've passed Tucson and are on our way into New Mexico (which I've heard isn't as bad a place as most other states for dangerous citizens). I'm not sure what road we're on, but we've been trying to keep going East for a long time. I think that the last town we were in was called Bisbee, but I can't see it on the map. We're on a small road anyway, too small to see on the map. Under normal circumstances, we would've retraced our steps to Tucson, but since there seems to be an unhealthy amount of activity from Them I don't think that's a good idea.

Day 355: I've found where we are on the map. We spent the night last night in a town called Lowell, and I've found it. We're on AZ-80, and we've got about 22 miles until we reach the next town called Pirtleville. I'm thinking we'll go around it through the wilderness somehow, and then resume the trip and hopefully find Interstate 10, which leads to AZ-70 which'll take us to Las Cruces. I'm praying that New Mexico isn't as bad as Arizona's been, and that we'll find someone friendly there. This is getting to be a bit nerve-racking, honestly.

Day 357: We passed Pirtleville through the desert the night before last because there was a huge fire there and we heard a lot of chanting. We had another run-in with Them, but this time there were three. Lindy took one out with her Bolas, and it did cut it pretty bad where it hit. Joe got another one in the shoulder with the bow and arrow, and I just threw a rock at one of them and it cracked the hip. They all just layed in the dust shrieking while we moved on. Now we're camped out in a bluff about twenty miles NE of Pirtleville. We can still hear the chanting, and Lindy's freaking out.

Day 362: Five days since I wrote last, and nothing's happened. No towns, none of Them, the chanting's quieting down, and we haven't had any contact with The Others. I'm just glad we're unscathed, thank God.

Right now we're in a gully just off of NM-9. Yes, we're in New Mexico, and glad of it. The journey along NM-80 was long and dusty, but we made it. Now that we're in New Mexico, safety feels imminent. We had a fire, hot food and some pop, and now everybody else is sleeping. Joe's snoring.

Day 364: We're on I-10, and glad of it. If we make a good eight miles a day (which is our average) I've calculated that we'll make Las Cruces in about 17 days. That feels like a long time. We didn't have a fire tonight because we heard some more chanting in the hills south of here. I don't like the sound of it. It sounds really, really hostile. Even the kid was scared.

Day 365: One whole year. It seems like longer. Nothing to report, other than the fact that I'm so thankful for everything God has provided us with. The kid, Joe, Lindy, our guns, food, water, the fact that we've even survived this far at all is just incredible. Thanks be to God.

(All of the routes and the rate at which they're travelled are accurate and can be traced with Google Maps.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:05 am 
Grind Guru
Grind Guru

This was so good to read I got scared and excited.

If the tanks succeed, victory follows. - Heinz Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:43 am 
Mould Mason
Mould Mason

Wow, that was great! We finally know more about the mysterious Them now. The new title fits much better.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:20 pm 
Smelt Sire
Smelt Sire

Thanks guys! Actually, now the whole series is on BrickStory.com, so you can view it there. I'll be posting periodic updates whenever I get around to it. ;)

You can also like We, the Survivors on Facebook, if you have one.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:22 pm 
Crucible King
Crucible King

Awesome! :D I haven't read it all yet, but I'm getting there.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:58 pm 
Smelt Sire
Smelt Sire

Days 383 thru 386 are available now! Don't forget to check us out on Facebook. ;)

Cheers!
~Oreo

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:41 pm 
Crucible King
Crucible King

Just finished the whole thing. The last chapters remind me of Hannibal: Rising in a very, very disturbing way. What is the catastrophe caused by, anyway? Is this literally, as in the Bible, Apocalypse? You know, with creepy gas coming up from you know where? This is quite creepy really.

Awesome job, man! :D

EDIT: The kid obviously has seen cannibalism... Is that Hannibal: Rising Scene #1 inspired? The style also reminds me of a movie I watched on SyFy last night: Mutant Chronicles.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:52 pm 
Smelt Sire
Smelt Sire

Napoleon wrote:
Just finished the whole thing. The last chapters remind me of Hannibal: Rising in a very, very disturbing way. What is the catastrophe caused by, anyway? Is this literally, as in the Bible, Apocalypse? You know, with creepy gas coming up from you know where? This is quite creepy really.

EDIT: The kid obviously has seen cannibalism... Is that Hannibal: Rising Scene #1 inspired? The style also reminds me of a movie I watched on SyFy last night: Mutant Chronicles.

Never heard of, much less seen Hannibal: Rising. Hell isn't physically underneath the earth. The catastrophe's cause will be revealed in due time. :9

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:57 pm 
Hammer Ace
Hammer Ace

Oreo wrote:
Napoleon wrote:

Never heard of, much less seen Hannibal: Rising. Hell isn't physically underneath the earth. The catastrophe's cause will be revealed in due time. :9

Stashes of peat underground in the area caught on fire and are releasing gas through the ground?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 27 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next