Change font size
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:22 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Review of all of Brickforge's guns!*
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:14 pm 
*Flintlock pistol not included.

At first, I was just going to review the new guns , but that didn't seem right. So, here's most of BF's firearms, in chronological order!

Military rifle:

The military rifle has to be one of BF's most under rated products. Based off of a German gun from WWII, it was released alongside the Military Helmet. However, Brickarms got most of the attention when it came to custom guns, and BF's two military offerings were soon forgotten.

The Military Rifle is a tad too large for minifigs, and goes a bit overboard with the relief detail. While these qualities keep it from fitting in all that well with other minifig guns, the rifle looks good on its own. The size lends it a bit of cartoony charm, IMO. Also, almost every part of the weapon, aside from the magazine and barrel, is grippable. And if you still don't like how it fits with LEGO figures, it's just the thing for Mega Bloks troops:

Nice, no?

Megagun:

The Megagun was released alongside the considerably better Powered Assault Commando Armor. The design of the Megagun is a bit of a cross between a more modern pistol, and a gun from the Classic Space sets. It doesn't work. For one thing, even though the gun was designed to allow for bricks to be added on, studs don't quite fit right in the barrel. In fact, parts only fit right in the barrel after cracks started forming. The bottom of the weapon also cracked when I put the grip of a Brickarms M4 Carbine into the bottom hole. (To be fair, the grips of BA accessories are usually a bit tighter than others.) (EDIT: Dylan said that he hasn't had any trouble with his Megaguns. Your mileage may vary.)

That said, the gun does have some redeeming qualities. Even if the gun isn't much by itself, one can come up with some fun designs with it. Also, it holsters to the back of the BF Powered Assault Commando Armor, which is a nice touch.

Plasma Blaster:

After the Megagun, things started looking upward. Wait. What's that you say? You don't like Mega Bloks? You hate Mega Bloks? Well then. I suppose I can find a more socially acceptable minifig to display the gun.

That better? X| Anyway, as I was saying... After the Megagun, things started looking upward. The Plasma Blaster is based off of the Plasma Pistol from the HALO games. However, the Brickforge version deviates from that a bit. Where as the HALO gun has the grip separate from the body, the Brickforge gun has the grip flush with the body. This change gives the weapon a more compact and blocky look to it, which is a plus, IMO. The bottom nacelle of the gun is grippable. The piece features some tasteful relief detail, which adds to the blocky look. To be honest, this is one of my favorite BF accessories.

Phaser:

I got this before my dad introduced me to the wonder that is Star Trek, so I wasn't too impressed at first. However, now all I have to say is this: :-D

Okay, I guess I have a bit more to say. This is based off of the phaser from the original Star Trek series, and is very accurate. The only real grip point is the pistol grip, which kind of bugs me. However, for a weapon this small, I can't imagine this having too many more, so I can't complain. Actually, there is another grip point, I guess.

The barrel is just small enough that is doesn't quite fit in a grip spot. However, it does fit when all the pressure of the minifig's fingers are on it. This design choice was highly illogical. Either way, brick versions of Bones and Kirk will like it.

Musket:

Now, I don't know much about weapons from this period, so I don't have much to say. However, I do have a couple observations: 1. The stock is really small. This looks good when being held with two hands. 2. The Bayonet has no good place to attach when the gun is held with two hands. 3. The ejection spot at the end of the barrel keeps that spot from being grippable.
That's all I have to say for the musket. I'm sure that pirate fans and history buffs will love it.

Grease Gun:

This thing is SMALL. Really small. How small, you ask? Here's a good example. That picture doesn't really give a sense of just how small this thing is. I highly doubt that the actual gun was this small. (Not minifig size... You know what I mean! :P ) (EDIT: Dylan pointed out just how small the real grease gun is. The real gun is around the size of a revolver!)

Now that I have that off my shoulders, I can talk about it intelligently. One nice thing about the size is that it keeps it from being over detailed. The detail on this thing is sparse. Which is a good thing, IMO. The top of the gun can be gripped. Nice gun, overall. Better than other tries. ;9

Coilgun:

And now for something completely different. The coilgun is based off of the Gauss Rifle from Starcraft II. The coilgun is quite hefty. To be honest, it's about as large as the Grease Gun is tiny! Well, not that big, but you get the idea. I suppose the fact that it has no stock might contribute to that... One small problem is that, even though the gun begs to be held with two hands, it can't be done because of the large trigger guard. A bit of a disappointment. I should also mention that the bottom of the barrel cans be gripped.

Battle Rifle:

The Battle Rifle is based off of the gun of the same name from the HALO games. Like the Grease Gun, detail is sparse here. However, a lot of attention was payed here to the shape of the gun. The bottom of the barrel and the scope(?) are grippable, giving a good number of posing options. However, it does have one problem.

It's too short. This is a gun that one would want to be held two-handed. However, the barrel barely reaches beyond the second hand. Still, a great gun to go along with the other HALO-inspired products.

One thing that I should note here is that the Grease Gun, Coilgun, and Battle Rifle were supposed to holster to the back of the Powered Assault Commando Armor. They don't. I'm not sure when this feature was dropped, but it would have made these already great weapons even better.

Gallery

Ryan

Last edited by Rybuger1 on Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Review of all of Brickforge's guns!*
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:37 pm 
Grind Guru
Grind Guru

Nice review, and nice terran marine, myn's alot bigger, unfortunately. Do you actually play SC II? just in case, my character is called FALCONKNIGHT.

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good-Rom12:21

I'm just trying to love God, people, and life. We're all people, what else matters?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:59 pm 
Powered Assault Commando wrote:
Nice review, and nice terran marine, myn's alot bigger, unfortunately. Do you actually play SC II? just in case, my character is called FALCONKNIGHT.

I don't play SCII, sorry.

Ryan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:06 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

I don't have any of these yet myself, but this review comes off as a little sketchy to me. It seems like you didn't do much research for it...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:40 pm 
Shadow Viking wrote:
I don't have any of these yet myself, but this review comes off as a little sketchy to me. It seems like you didn't do much research for it...

How so? Should I have included links to the inspiration for each weapon? I'm looking to improve.

Ryan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:25 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Rybuger1 wrote:
Shadow Viking wrote:

How so? Should I have included links to the inspiration for each weapon? I'm looking to improve.

Ryan

Well for one, you called the Grease Gun small. In fact you harped on that for some reason when...if anything it's a little big! You're probably used to guns being oversized for figs but...well just take a look at this picture of it in use:

See how tiny? Now compare the size of yours to a minifig and well...

There's also some interesting information about the Megagun that you might not be aware of, including the participation of the one and only Chris Giddons in it's design ;) I also don't seem to have the same issues you've had with grip on it but...maybe I'd just been lucky? :9 Besides that I thought the review was fine.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:37 pm 
Mould Mason
Mould Mason

Good review! I am not a gun person, but the most recent releases appeal to me, since I am a pirates and Sci-Fi fan.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:52 pm 
Starwars4J wrote:
Well for one, you called the Grease Gun small. In fact you harped on that for some reason when...if anything it's a little big! You're probably used to guns being oversized for figs but...well just take a look at this picture of it in use:

*Snip*

There's also some interesting information about the Megagun that you might not be aware of, including the participation of the one and only Chris Giddons in it's design ;) I also don't seem to have the same issues you've had with grip on it but...maybe I'd just been lucky? :9 Besides that I thought the review was fine.

A member of another forum also pointed out just how small the real grease gun is. I have to say I appreciate it quite a bit more now! :P As for the MegaGun, I'm not sure what's wrong with my three. I suppose I might have been putting the parts in at a angle?

Thanks for your criticism, guys!

Ryan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:01 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Hey thanks for the review! It gives me a chance to see the new weapons in use ... since I eventually want to buy some.
I like the different colors you have as well as the mix of 'users'.

halo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:04 pm 
Forge Master
Forge Master

Cool man!

I do want to point out a few things:

Musket: You can attach the Bayonet past the end band and grip it with two hands. I've seen some great pics of this! The ejection point doesn't have much effect.
The stock was made shorter so a minifig could hold it upright between the bands and the stock sit flush on the surface.
Coilgun: Minifigs can't grip this with two hands because of the limitation of the minifig, not the gun itself.
Battle Rifle: " "

-A

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]