Change font size
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:38 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Product Name Changes
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:05 pm 
Dwarf Smith
Dwarf Smith

Round Shield is now Battle Shield
The oldest form of shield was a protection device used to block attacks by hand weapons such as swords, axes and maces or missiles like spears and arrows. Whereas light shields could block glancing blows, heavier ones like the Battle Shield turned ordinary infantry into an immovable wall. Traditionally made of wood and covered in bronze the sheer weight made it a dangerous weapon. A thrust forward with the shield could knock an opponent down, setting up for an easy kill. A strike from the shield's edge was deadly, as it could break bones and fatally fracture the skull. The Battle Shield is cast with a smooth surface on the outside so you can apply your own insignia using decals, paints or other preferred medium. Flat inside consists of a centered, standard minifig grip.

Roman Shield is now Military Shield
The use of Military Shields spans the course of history and is nearly universal amongst all methods of combat. Considered a hand-held protective device, shields are used to protect against armed melee attacks and projectiles. Shield designs vary based on tactics and accompanying weaponry, but modern Military Shields have settled on a handful of basic designs. Used by many police forces and military officers, the rectangular design protects most of the body from relatively large and low velocity projectiles as well as blows from fists and other hand-held weapons. Special Forces and SWAT teams use such shields in high risk entry and siege scenarios. Standard grip fits most minifig hands.

ya! ye herd me rite laddies!

-ADS

Post subject: Re: Product Name Changes
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:09 am 
Beheaded
Beheaded

Oh great and Mighty (and Angry) Dwarf Smith, why the sudden name changes?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:52 pm 
Swage Fitter
Swage Fitter

Dearest Angry {:8

I don't know what prompted the name change, but I would like to point out that this is making it increasignly difficult to search the BF shop! Because products are listed by names (both on the main category list and on the subcategory list), and not pictures, it always gives me a huge problem to remember which name refers to what product. Names like "Rogue Biter" and "Raider Blade" and "Dragon Sword"...they sound good but which one is which? And I have to go thru extra clicks to bring up a picture and remember. VERY time consuming and confusing to say the least!

The shields were easy; round shield ...well, that's the shield that's round. And the Roman shield...most people know that Roman shields are rectangular. Although if it would have been up to me I would just call it rectangular shield. Now I will have to remember something not at all obvious; is it the military or the battle shield that's round?

Please, please keep the names simple, and actually referring to the shape, size and style of the weapon/armor, if your store will continue to be based on names not pictures. It simply gives me a headache! Others can share their own opinions but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

Last few times I shopped I actually had to make a little dictionary for myself of what names refer to what weapons! And now these new shield names make it even more confusing! 8o

(Run and hide from the Angry Dwarf emoticon goes here!)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:00 am 
Forge Master
Forge Master

I think the best thing would be to make icons for the categories. That way when you click on 'armor' you'll see a bunch of basic pictures to help lead you to the right product. We are actually looking at reworking the store website, but such an endeavor has only just entered the idea stages.

The name change was due to positioning within the product lineup. Most people are using our Roman Shield as SWAT shields so we wanted something a bit more generic but not as mundane (like Rectangular). Same goes for the Battle Shield - it's a much more 'fun' name and ties into our existing products.

-A

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:22 am 
Swage Fitter
Swage Fitter

Yes, <v> , icons would be wonderful! I hope you guys can work it out!
As more and more products are added to the site, it is becoming increasingly difficult to navigate it just by names.
Thanks for all your hard work! ;)

Armothe wrote:
I think the best thing would be to make icons for the categories. That way when you click on 'armor' you'll see a bunch of basic pictures to help lead you to the right product. We are actually looking at reworking the store website, but such an endeavor has only just entered the idea stages.

The name change was due to positioning within the product lineup. Most people are using our Roman Shield as SWAT shields so we wanted something a bit more generic but not as mundane (like Rectangular). Same goes for the Battle Shield - it's a much more 'fun' name and ties into our existing products.

-A

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:12 pm 
Anvil Polisher
Anvil Polisher

Armothe wrote:

I recall bringing the same point up sometime this past year and was wondering if it'd ever get implemented. Good to see the idea hasn't died, at least. :D

m19

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:53 am 
Anvil Polisher
Anvil Polisher

Ha ha...I thought I was going crazy. I was looking everywhere for the "Round" shield and realized it was called something else and I coulda sworn it was at one time called "The Round" shield. :)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]