Change font size
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:44 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 12 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Product Review: BrickForge Centaurs
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:34 pm 
Swage Fitter
Swage Fitter

This is a new format for product reviews on my site (link in signature below). I welcome any and all feedback. This is actually the first review in a series I have planned for many of the new 2010 products.

Here is the direct link to the review (http://bit.ly/cx7XUV).

On a separate but related note, perhaps Omicron can help me get this placed on Eurobricks? I get that this is not guaranteed to make the main page, but I need to know which forum this would best be placed. I am a forum member and have been accepted into the Reviewer's Academy, but haven't placed an item like this on their forums before.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Product Review: BrickForge Centaurs
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:57 am 
Forge Master
Forge Master

Thanks for the review! Your observations are spot on. And while correct about the limitation of some neckgear due to the Centaur body I hesitate to label this an 'issue' because really there just isn't anything that could have been done about it. Same goes for attaching two quivers to the rear studs. Although if we ever create our own quiver or scabbard we'll be sure to take these measurements into account.

-A

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:38 am 
Smelt Sire
Smelt Sire

Cygnet wrote:
On a separate but related note, perhaps Omicron can help me get this placed on Eurobricks? I get that this is not guaranteed to make the main page, but I need to know which forum this would best be placed. I am a forum member and have been accepted into the Reviewer's Academy, but haven't placed an item like this on their forums before.

Custom Lego reviews go in their Minifig Customization forum. Pretty much you make a topic and copy/paste the review. If you post it I could pass a message along to LuxorV or WhiteFang to get it on the frontpage.

-Omi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:45 pm 
Swage Fitter
Swage Fitter

Armothe wrote:
And while correct about the limitation of some neckgear due to the Centaur body I hesitate to label this an 'issue' because really there just isn't anything that could have been done about it. Same goes for attaching two quivers to the rear studs.

Armothe - I see your point. You could easily say that the 'issue' was with the TLG part, not the Centaur. I think it's the term 'issue' that's the...um...issue. In hindsight it might have been better to classify these as watch-outs. The objective was to inform and not be especially critical of the piece.

I hesitate to change the current review. I plan on having a review of the backpack in the near future. I was able to confirm that it does work with the Centaur dimensions. I can, and will highlight this. I wasn't able to purchase the ammo packs in my last two orders because they were sold out. In theory, could you attach a pouch on each side of the and have them lie flush on the back of Centaur? Hopefully highlighting these facts will help make up for the previous, yet unintentional, slight.

@Omi

Thanks for the additional information. I'll see if I can post on Eurobricks later this weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:53 am 
Swage Fitter
Swage Fitter

I've just posted the Centaur review to the Eurobricks forums for minifig customization. This version of the review is slightly different from what appears on my site, as it incorporates feedback from folks here on the forums.

The original review also has an update to the original post, highlighting how the backpack works quite well with this piece.

@Omi - If you can work your magic and have the review considered for placement on the front page, that would be great.

Comments and feedback welcome...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:03 am 
Smelt Sire
Smelt Sire

Just sent him a PM about it! :D

Edit: And there we have it

-Omi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:59 pm 
Swage Fitter
Swage Fitter

Bam! Made Eurobricks frontpage. :)

Big thanks to Omi for the "in" with the mods...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:39 pm 
Beheaded
Beheaded

Sorry Cygnet but I'd have to disagree on points made in your Review, for starters:

1: why would somebody have 2 Quivers?
2: was able to attach a Quiver on one side and a 1x1 plate with clip on other side with no difficulty and so forth, and other clip could be used to hold (Recurve Bow as in picture) or sword or whatever, wish there was an angled clip or something to make it look better but no problem.
3: The centaur has a sword and shield and helmet with arms extended and no threat of tipping over (as in picture)

all in all I'd give your review a "C" for lacking accuracy of product stability and holding.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:13 pm 
Swage Fitter
Swage Fitter

Asterios

No worries. There are some differences in what you show and what's stated in my review.

1) You are correct. It's very unlikely that someone would want two quivers on the back of the Centaur, but may want a PoP scabbard on one side and a quiver on the other.
2) I like the solution of the 1x1 clip as the second holder, but didn't claim this couldn't be done (error of omission perhaps?).
3) You show both arms extended with another accessory in the opposing (right) hand as a counterweight. It was my experience that when the left arm had an accessory in the hand alone and was extended the Centaur tended to tip.

I did check with another customizer who purchased the Centaurs and he stated having similar problems in these areas.

That said...thank you for the feedback. Would you recommend running any perceived issues through the forum first, as a check? I would think that to be reasonable, and have actually done this in preparation for my coverage for the beret.

Happy to discuss further.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:18 pm 
Beheaded
Beheaded

Well so far holding just a spear or a sword in the right or left hand has not produced any tipping, but generally my Centaur apparel is designed to avoid tipping in any regards since it would ill behoove me to have drunk Centaurs fighting now would it? my only pet peeve is if attaching to a base plate is making sure their fully connected.

but other then that I like these Centaurs since they're cool not sure how many I will make since ea. one costs me about $10 in parts to make.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 12 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next