Change font size
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:34 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: FNS Hawkwing, FF-03 Third and hopefully final revision...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:39 pm 
Mould Mason
Mould Mason

Ok, since LEGO came out with some of those wide boat hulls in a color I could use for my good-guy factions, I decided to take another whack at my Kestrel/John Gotti class frigates, and I'm rather pleased with the results:

Hawkwing Port by Hikaro Takayama, on Flickr

Of course, the updated data for Jayne's Fighting Ships:

Data: FF-03, Kestrel Class Frigate, Manufactured by BFG Industries in Philadelphia, PA as part of a joint Naval design/construction project with the Republic of New Jersey, Corleone Shipyards, LTD.
Launch Date: 2089
Current CO: Lt. Commander Honor S. Harrington, Federal Republic of America Navy
Armament:
Guns: Two 3" (76mm) OTO Melera Super Rapid naval cannons, two aft-mounted BA-Industries MG-3/42 machineguns (7.62 NATO) and three bridge-wing mounted BA Industries Lewis-Lexington Heavy machineguns (.50 BMG).
Missiles: Two MK-75 quad medium-range Merculite Multipurpose Missile (MMM) launchers with an effective range of 200 Nautical miles.
Energy Weapons: Two MK-2 Mod 1 "Hoplite" Close-in Weapons System utilizing a self-contained search/track scanners and dual 25mm pulse-laser cannons primarily for point defense against missiles, aircraft and speedboats.
Torpedoes: Two MK-50 sonar-guided long-range heavy anti-ship torpedoes.
Propulsion: Twin John Reed 12-cylinder 1500 HP bio-diesel engines powering water jets that give the ship a cruising speed of about 47 Knots.

Notes: The Federal Republic of America version of this ship differs from the original Republic of New Jersey John Gotti-class guided missile frigates in that it has the BFG Industries MK-98 Fire Control Radar/Neutrino Scanner as opposed to the Corleone Shipyards Target Acquisition System (TAS) Mark-7 as well as having an additional 76mm OTO Melera naval gun instead of the short-range "Screaming Mimi" missile turret aft (hence why the John Gotti Class gets the "G" in its Hull Classification Code and the Kestrel Class doesn't)

Both Classes have a commonly available DRS6D Furuno Commercial Navigation radar (for both standard navigation and deceptive tactics to fool enemy ships into thinking the frigate is a mere fishing vessel or tramp freighter) and the PRC-99 directional HF communications array.

Hawkwing Starboard by Hikaro Takayama, on Flickr

I also modified the torpedoes (removed one of the 2x2 round bricks, shortening them slightly, and making them look a lot better as well, IMO).

Hawkwing Stern View by Hikaro Takayama, on Flickr

I made some MAJOR improvements to the antenna mast as well: It now LOOKS more like a proper Military Vessel's radar/antenna mast. I also added the two automated twin-laser turrets to give the ship better AA defense capabilities.

Hawkwing Bow View by Hikaro Takayama, on Flickr

I also added an additional 2 Merculite missiles to each side, bringing the total number up to 8, and it looks better to boot!

Updated Bridge Interior by Hikaro Takayama, on Flickr

Finally, not only was I able to make the ship look better by lengthening the bridge/01 level (and using the ship windows from the Coast Guard Patrol set), but I could add a console for the Navigation/Communications officer as well.

I hope you guys like this new version. As soon as I get some of the PAB parts in, I'll be doing the RNJS Tony Soprano as well. As for the blue Police Boat hulls I was previously using... Well, I've got plans to use them for the Lone Star Republic's River-Class Corvettes. ;)

Post subject: Re: FNS Hawkwing, FF-03 Third and hopefully final revision..
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:46 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

I love the ships you build!!
Another amazing one, and I do like the hull ... very nice.
Also, is that a kitty I see in there?!?
:o)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:24 pm 
Mould Mason
Mould Mason

It's supposed to be a Sphynxian Treecat known as "Nimitz" by most humans he's associated with and "Laughs Brightly" by his own people... Nimitz is one of a number of Treecats who have "adopted" humans (in this case the captain) by forming an empathic bond with them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:17 pm 
Grind Guru
Grind Guru

Very nice looking, especially the hull and the front turret. One thing I might suggest, though, is a palette swap for the radar dish, the black sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the ship in such large quantities. Keep on bricking!

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good-Rom.12:21

Query: why is this necessary? Repeat, query: why is this necessary?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:09 pm 
Mould Mason
Mould Mason

A lot of RL ships have black masts, though..... I may, however, modify the Laser turrets... They seem a bit overly long to me, so I'll try replacing the antenna piece with some black or gray lightsaber blades.

I was half tempted to submit this for SHIPtember, but this only qualifies as a ship in the most literal (or in this case, littoral) sense... :p

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]