Change font size
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:41 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Hi, noobie here
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:01 am 
Bucket Boy
Bucket Boy

Wow, I'm here because I've been bitten with LEGO customitis, not sure how it happened, but after taking the family to Legoland 2x in June, a few weeks later I bought my first LEGO, Hero Factory. Then a bunch of Bionicles from Ebay. Now I have found my true desire, fantasy minifigs, especially the Tolkien stuff. I have one burning question, tho:

What's the best tool for separating minifig arms from torsos? Haven't tried my 6yr old's brick separator, my stash is hidden in the shop/office away from the wife. But those things are hard on the fingers, and always worried about breaking an arm, or scratching up the figure.

Anyways, tomorrow is trip #3 for us, back to LEGOLAND, this time I'm gonna visit that Build your own minifig room and have a closer look!!! {:D

Post subject: Re: Hi, noobie here
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:00 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Location: New Castle, PA and From wherever he darn well pleases.
Welcome to the forums. It's always great to see someone new get into the hobby. While our forums aren't extremely active, you did pick the best customizing brand to check out.

Separating minifig arms it pretty easy. I advise taking the head off and adding legs to the torso so you get a better grip. I'm right handed, so this is how I do it. Face the minifig toward you. Extend his right arm back and then place the body between your thumb and index finger/knuckle of your right hand. With your left finger and thumb, pull the arm apart from the torso. Try to have as much of the arm in between your finger and thumb as possible. Turn the body around and repeat. :)

A site I visit often that has tons of Castle and medieval fantasy creations (especially Tolkien) is Classic-Castle. Enjoy your stay and be sure to post your photos of your creations here.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:17 am 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Welcome to the BF forums!

As QBlade says, "It's always great to see someone new get into the hobby." Brickforge has some great Elven items and things that can work toward Castle and medieval fantasy creations (especially Tolkien).

When I first started working with custom minfigs, I took one or two minfigs that I wasn't worried about and carefully took them apart and put them back together. I also took a couple of bricks and toyed with painting, decals, and cutting ... to give me confidence.

Lucky You on visiting Legoland!! And be sure to share your creations with us!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:22 am 
Bucket Boy
Bucket Boy

Um, this is a rabbit-hole of unknown dimentions... At first, it seemed so innocent, just go to eBay and get one minifig of interest (Smeagol), but then came the obvious voices... "get the whole fellowship..." "orc army..." "of course there will be 'other' projects..."

So many new decisions... Yellow, or flesh? Purist parts only, or full blown customs? Fears of my own lovely children getting into my projects... The wallet is already dented pretty badly. where does this all go? My wife will think me looney if I bring up LEGO conventioning... how do I convince her this is a legit hobby?

Came home from LEGOLAND with the chess set. Only really wanted the board, planning on changing out all the pieces.

Thanks for the support!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:40 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

This is an expensive hobby. I don't have advice on how to convince your wife as to it being a legit hobby as I've never had that problem with mine. Maybe the best idea is to check out some creations on Flickr and other sites to show her some things that are really cool.
Medieval pop-up book
Eodras

My advice is don't go "purist". It's just too limiting and there are so many cool custom items out there. I prefer yellow over flesh tone, but more and more people seem to be using flesh tone. Whatever you are comfortable with really. There is one site that can make you go broke faster than e-bay when it comes to buying pieces. I'm just telling you to use extreme caution as it can lead to being in the dog house extremely quick.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:11 am 
Bucket Boy
Bucket Boy

Thanks for the good advice. I am definitely leaning towards the cool custom stuff, painting I don't have the skills for but I can certainly copy and slide decals for sure! Dyeing may be something I might try soon, just to see how it takes. Right now I'm a complete fleshie, that may change in the future but doubt it.

Now about that site that you're warning me about, what is it? I'm very curious...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:41 am 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Agreed, this can be very expensive ... thus the reason to think out what you want to create and then look for items that will aid you for those creations. I try to 'think ahead', and then purchase items I know I can use. I will admit that I buy 3-5 of each, to give me room for customizing ... in case I have to start over.

Painting is easier than it looks. Just remember to have 'test' bricks for everything new you try; some of the best advise I've been given.

As for the spouse, my husband told me about 2 years ago that he never thought I'd be making 'doll clothes' for Legos at my age. Now he just smiles and says, "oh, yea", when I show him my creations. But, my kids think its amusing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:32 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

You've been warned. BrickLink

You can seriously spend hours "window shopping"........or actually shopping for Lego windows (there's a category for that). You can find old sets, exclusive sets, pieces, minifigs, etc. A few years back, I did a break down of the parts I wanted and how much it would have cost if I had bought the cheapest set a particular piece I wanted from that set. I think I ended up spending around $15 dollars for the pieces and to get them from buying sets at their cheapest was over $300. Now I didn't get all the wonderful pieces that come with the sets, but having only $15 to spend instead of $300, I think I came out feeling pretty good. My first ever purchase on there was for the windscreen (canopy/cockpit glass) that came with the first Star Wars sets. I think I bought 8 of them for under $1 a piece. That cheapest set that part came in was $30, so you can see how I made out on that one. I didn't have 8 x-wings to show for it, but I did have the parts I needed to finish off 8 space ships I had made. Some custom items have been appearing on BL also which is where I ended up getting some awesome minifig capes.

Fleshie minifigs are the result of licensed sets (LOTR, Star Wars, Super Heroes, etc). A lot of the younger generation have been warming up to them because they look "normal" and are have been readily available for the past 5-10 years. People like me who have been into the hobby longer aren't ready to commit to the "fleshie" trend. I grew up with the yellow heads and I have 100's of minifigs that way. I will admit that if I had to choose between the pre-2000 yellow minifigs and the fleshie minifigs, I'd go "fleshie".

Don't feel pressured to paint, cut, sculpt, decal, or dye your way into customizing. Customizers like BrickForge try to give people the incentive to use something outside the box without having a ton of skill. Not everyone can sculpt some space armor or cut an existing sword to make it look like one from LOTR ( I know I can't). Start off little. Make some decals using an ink jet and finding a design off a public site like Brick Shelf.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:19 pm 
Bucket Boy
Bucket Boy

Wow, I had no idea how big this lego custom thing was. Very cool!

Where can I go to ask more noobie questions? While I'm probably going to be a Brickforge customer soon, I wasn't sure if this is the right place to ask questions and pick up wisdom from the masters, after all, its a commercial site, no?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:49 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

You are more than welcome to ask whatever questions in the BF forum. Start a new thread in the Village Commons - Waterhole, and those with experience will gladly answer your questions.
The forum is here to encourage customizers of every type.

The Armory has a lot of good tutorials and templates in it, look for the threads by Armothe there. You will also see examples of modding too.
I have learned most of my customizing skills here in the BF forums, its a small but great community.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]