Change font size
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:29 pm

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 5 of 100   [ 993 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 100  Next
 Post subject: Re: Meaningless Thread Fifty Three-peat!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:48 pm 
Hammer Ace
Hammer Ace

sentinal133 wrote:
khopesh97 wrote:
@Sentinal: There is a Wii shooter: http://www.gamestop.com/wii/games/james-bond-goldeneye-007/78167

I own it and I use the Wii-Mote controls. Great for hip-fire people.

There ARE Wiimote controls though? My god, I have to get this game.

Yeah, there are Wii Mote controls. You might have to adjust them a bit so they are more responsive though. There is online too. My gamertag is AirWat if you ever see me.

Ugh. Poor frog... Cooked to death without even knowing...

@Mac: Really? That's interesting...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:16 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

lol
I have some special stories from being a kid, and things my dad "had" my (poor) cook ...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:16 pm 
Mould Mason
Mould Mason

macleodman2 wrote:
Speaking of frogs. Somehow we got a population of South American Tree Frogs here. The bright green ones with red eyes? It's a very small population, but somehow a few have managed to survive in the middle of a desert. Probably because we have lots of trees and our neighbors constantly irrigate their yards.

Don't you live in Idaho?! The bigger question is how they managed to survive the winters, because according to ye olde USDA zone mappe, the WARMEST parts of Idaho have an average winter low temp of 0 degrees Fahrenheit (-18 deg C)....

So, I spent most of yesterday afternoon and evening moving more stuff from my parents' house, including just about everything I had in their attic. Among the things I brought from the attic was a storage tub that had all my old Navy uniforms in it, as well as command ballcaps from every ship and shore command I'd ever been assigned to, even if it was Temporarily Assigned Duty (TAD). As it happened, both times I was assigned TAD to a ship, it happened to be the same class of ship that I was either assigned to at the time or I would GET assigned to, once I got an actual duty station. Cases in point: I was sent TAD to the USS Kinkaid (DD-965) from Jan - Apr 2000 to fill time between when my first phase of training ended (Fire Control "A" School at Great Lakes, IL) and the next phase of training (MK-23 TAS "C" School at Dam Neck, VA) began. When I finished "C" School, the first ship I was assigned to was the USS O'Brien (DD-975), another Spruance Class Destroyer... Bonus points for their hull numbers being exactly 10 apart.

The second time I was TAD was when I was assigned to the USS Belleau Wood (LHA-3), a Tarawa-Class amphibious assault ship based out of San Diego, CA. In July of 2004, when the Belleau Wood was on its way to the Persian Gulf, I got flown back to California to fill in for the USS Pelilieu (LHA-5), another Tarawa-Class ship. The reason I was sent was because we had more than one MK-23 TAS tech on the Belleau Wood, and the Tarawa lost theirs, because she got pregnant (US Naval Regulations forbid pregnant women from serving aboard ships, for obvious reasons), and they were about to go through a HUGE inspection called INSURV which would have admirals crawling all over the ship, and their TAS Radar system wasn't working. I was on the Pelilieu for a month, got the radar working better than new in time for the big inspection, and got a letter of commendation from the Pelilieu's Captain before being flown into Bahrain to meet up with my ship, which had already made it to the Persian Gulf.

I also found a command ballcap for a Japanese destroyer, the JDS Yudachi. I had to think a bit before remembering that, during the joint training exercise with the Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force, where I got the JDS Hatakaze pin, we also had a sailor from the Yudachi on board and I traded one of my USS Obrien ballcaps for his Yudachi ballcap. The guy's name was Masamoto (no I didn't remember that on my own: It was written inside the hat in Kanji)...

In addition to the tub full of memories, I also moved a heavy-duty prefab cabinet that I got from the local Staples Outlet store about 5 years ago or so, and put it in the computer room so that my wife can put all her nail polish and artsy-crafty stuff on it, rather than MY computer desk... The thing is made out of high density fiberboard, so it weighs a ton: My dad actually said, "Good GRIEF! What is this made out of? Lead?" when we brought it down the stairs of their house yesterday. As a result of this (and moving a large tub full of books), I'm pretty sore today.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:08 pm 
Hammer Ace
Hammer Ace

@Hikaro: Sorry if I missed it, but what were you in the Navy? Were you an engineer of sorts?

*RANDOM SUBJECT CHANGE*

Toon Link!! (I drew it, *coughcough*)

Attachments:
Toon Link Web.jpg
Toon Link Web.jpg [ 29.01 KiB | Viewed 453 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:39 pm 
Mould Mason
Mould Mason

khopesh97 wrote:
@Hikaro: Sorry if I missed it, but what were you in the Navy? Were you an engineer of sorts?

I was a Fire Controlman, which is a type of electronics technician who works on weapons control systems and guidance radar for gun and missile systems. The Electronics Technician sister rate (job specialty) actually goes through the same initial phase of training (Advanced Electronics Technical Core), but only works on navigational radars, radar displays and communications electronics.

Thanks to the 18 months of technical training I received being the equivalent of having a technical diploma (like what you can get through a Vo-Tech school or Career Training center), and having an additional 4.5 years of field experience applying what I learned in that school, I was able to get hired, almost right out of the Navy as an Electronics Assembler, making $13.00 and hour, and when I got picked up for the Internship program with a local US Army maintenance depot, I already had my security clearance, and close to 8 years of work experience in the field... By the time I graduated college with an associate's degree in Electronics Engineering Technology in fall of 2010, I had just about 10 years of work experience in the field....

Which probably makes me unique among college graduates in the fact that I got work experience in my chosen field BEFORE I got my degree (which probably didn't hurt when the Army Depot decided to hire me on permanently after graduation), and thanks to the Navy College fund "kicker" I got (which doubled my GI-Bill money), I didn't have to pay a red cent for my college education. If you think that's unfair (especially if you are having to take out a butt-load of loans to pay for college), I'll just say this: Believe you me, I EARNED that money, between all the midnight watches I stood in CIC (Combat Information Center) after working 12 hour days, 7 days a week when the ship was at sea, all the time I spent at sea (at least half my entire Navy career), and basically being some officer's b***ch for 6 years.... Not to mention having a friend killed at the Pentagon on 9/11 and another friend crippled for life while cave diving for terrorists in Afghanistan, and you can see that the GI-Bill money is there for a reason.

Also, nice Link drawing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:55 pm 
Hammer Ace
Hammer Ace

macleodman2 wrote:
Speaking of frogs. Somehow we got a population of South American Tree Frogs here. The bright green ones with red eyes? It's a very small population, but somehow a few have managed to survive in the middle of a desert. Probably because we have lots of trees and our neighbors constantly irrigate their yards.

We have pacific tree frogs here, they live in and around drainage ditches, the canal, these two large ponds in front of my neighborhood, and pretty much wherever they bloody well feel like due to how often everything gets watered. I've also had multiple snake sightings, and not little ones, stretches-across-the-road ones. We also have a field of cows out back, so there's a constant supply of flies for the frog and mice for the snake.

edit: I should not the snake was only one lane long, not two.
Hikaro Takayama wrote:
Don't you live in Idaho?! The bigger question is how they managed to survive the winters, because according to ye olde USDA zone mappe, the WARMEST parts of Idaho have an average winter low temp of 0 degrees Fahrenheit (-18 deg C)....

He lives in a colder part of Idaho too I believe.
khopesh97 wrote:
Toon Link!! (I drew it, *coughcough*)

Dude, that's awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:40 am 
Hammer Ace
Hammer Ace

@Hikaro: I have no clue. They just pop up under our awnings during summer storms or when it rains in the spring.

As for general temperature we generally spend a nearly equal time in hot and cold, but I'd have to guess that it's more on the cold side overall.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:07 am 
Hammer Ace
Hammer Ace

@Hikaro: Wow. Did you enjoy being in the Navy? Or would you have chosen a different career if you could?

@Frogs: Those must be some tough frogs...

@ToonLink: Thanks all!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:27 am 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

@Hikaro: it's nice to hear when things go well for those who serve our country ... and are able to use it to their benefit after.

@K97: Nice!!

@frogs: bull frogs ...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:09 pm 
Hammer Ace
Hammer Ace

I hadn't watched any of the videos of TES Online until just now, and I have to say I like what I see. It still looks very much like TES game but with multiplayer. I hope it turns out to be good.

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 5 of 100   [ 993 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 100  Next