Change font size
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:43 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Indonesian Weapons
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:06 pm 
Grind Guru
Grind Guru

I don't know how I haven't made this official suggestion until know. Anyway, I think that many traditional Indonesian/Southeast Asian weapons could potentially be a great idea for Brickforge. While many of them have fairly icon and recognizable shapes, they are still "different" enough to work in various different themes such as fantasy/castle/ninja, modern/city (my LEGO city has a martial arts studio) or some space.

The first weapon I would like to suggest and that I think could be fairly easy for BF to make is the dagger/short sword known as a kris/keris.
While there have been kris that were straight bladed, most think of this wavy blade when they think of a kris.

The next Indonesian weapon I would like to suggest is a kerambit/karambit.
This first picture represents a more common and recognized shape for a kerambit. They tend to vary in size from 2 inch blades to closer to 7 inch blades, but the shape and curve are generally the same. While I am aware that BF products can be used to cobble together one of these (I've made at least 2) I feel a single molded piece might be a bit more durable as well as clean looking.
This picture is of a kerambit specific to the Minangkabau region of West Sumatra. This is probably the only kerambit I know of that is drastically different in shape. I include it partially to show a different shape that could be made and partially because the martial art I study is from the Minangkabau region. :oP

The third and final Indonesian/Southeast Asian weapon I would like to suggest is the golok.
This type of weapon is the region's analog of the machete, and has been used in most of the region at some point. It is also, supposedly, the pattern for which British military machetes were based off of (according to wikipedia).

Post subject: Re: Indonesian Weapons
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:14 am 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Those are pretty sweet and would make some great items for additions and custom foundations!

Post subject: Re: Indonesian Weapons
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:34 am 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Dude. Yes please

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]