It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:59 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: LOTR Customized Riders of Rohan
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:35 pm 
Bucket Boy
Bucket Boy

Eomer & Riders of Westfold by blokeonarope, on Flickr

Eomer & Riders of the Mark by blokeonarope, on Flickr

A TLC Eomer augmented with our cusotmized Riders of Rohan. The helmets and saddle bows are all Brickforge. We use the Brickforge elven spear for all our banners - nice long custome piece to take the banner. No Paint here yet, although tempted to dry brush the helmets. We use lego castle torso's, but done down the figure with dark brown legs and dark grey arms.

Post subject: Re: LOTR Customized Riders of Rohan
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:49 am 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

this looks great!
I really like the mix of horses, color and classic-new; also the mix of helmets. The BF Viking helm looks really good with those Rohans.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:47 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Location: New Castle, PA and From wherever he darn well pleases.
Nice use of the elven spear. I like that banner too. I like the color combos you put together, and I have some brown viking helmets with the metal parts painted gold for using in a similar fashion.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:26 pm 
Bucket Boy
Bucket Boy

I now wish that I had bought the brown version of the viking helmet. I have seen some good customs using that as a base, including a custom of Durnhelm (Eowen) from LOTR. If I had the time, I might them spray matt brown and start from there... I have tried washing with a GW ink around the visor, and its OK, but it isn't great.

In general, I find that a matt painted hair or helmet, really tops off a custom piece. For volume customs, you don't need to touch the body, arms or torso (except where you need a custom decal). The GW Warhammer parts really work well, but there really are only a dozen sets of accessories that work due to scale/theme issues, e.g. 40K Powered Assault Commando icons, Orc shild bosses, etc.

Can anyone suggest an idea for the hair? The viking helm has a high neck line, and he tyellow lego head looks a little unnatural without either hair piece or hair print. I am not sure that I want to find, cut and glue 15 or so hair peices. I have a TLC head that I think is meant to be a chainmail hood (grey peice with small area of yellow for face and eyes) that I might try out to see if it looks better, but I am open to other ideas.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]