Change font size
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:02 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Lego Custom Decal Creation - Any Tips?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:40 pm 
Swage Fitter
Swage Fitter

I was wondering if anybody had any tips on how to print custom decals for minifigures. Can I just use glossy sticker paper from Staples and print several designs and just stick them on? Any strategies or tips or warnings I should be aware of?

Thanks. :)

Post subject: Re: Lego Custom Decal Creation - Any Tips?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:00 am 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Yes, you can use the glossy or the matte sticker paper, or even labels. That's a great way to start out with.

I would print the design on plain paper so that you can compare the colors & decal sizes, to make sure they're what you want before the decals. I do 'paste ups' of all my decals before 'final print'.
Also, you can spray them with a 'art sealer spray' if you have one, or once applied - carefully and quickly apply a thin coat of clear fingernail polish if you want a 'finish' to them.

For cloaks and such - you can paint the solid base color on both sides of regular paper and then cut them out, this gives the paper a little more weight and flexibility for bending and shaping.

I tried to use the search to find previous post in the topic, but I have serious 'search engine usage' issues. Perhaps, if Bio, or someone else bettered skills can find the post to give you some other great info.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:03 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Location: New Castle, PA and From wherever he darn well pleases.
I could have sworn that I had a post somewhere around here talking about decals/sticker paper/etc, with the pros and cons. I can't seem to find it either. The most inexpensive way to print decals is by using regular paper and then using packing tape to apply them. It requires cutting out the decal and placing it on the tape and then when cutting the tape, leaving just enough room for it to attach.
THIS link will send you to a page where many castle themed torso decals can be found.
THIS link will take you to a page that has the downloadable psd and bitmap links so you can begin creating some decals. It is also the first step I took in making decals. The print size on this page once you download them should work perfectly. I know it did for me. My advice is if you are just starting off, is to do a test run in black & white on regular paper. It's the most cost effective way. Colored ink can be expensive and I know some parents would not be happy having their colored ink being used up so quickly. Sticker paper can be used later down the line once you get the hang of it, but I've found the ink can "chip off" and the edges can peel after time if you are not careful. That is why I suggest packing tape on regular paper for novices. It is cheaper for when you make a mistake (and trust me, you will) and the quality is acceptable by a pro (well, at least this pro ;)). Good Luck.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:18 pm 
Swage Fitter
Swage Fitter

Thanks you two!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]