Change font size
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:06 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 6 of 10   [ 93 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: BrickForge Gallaxies - initial sign up and info
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:01 pm 
Bellow Boss
Bellow Boss

Eh, ya know. I be goin' up north, where dey eat da pasties, ya know. And dey got da ice hockey, and da toques, too, eh.

Although in my experience the differences between areas of the US aren't that noticeable - this is a Midwesterner who's been to Cali, Texas, and Virgina - you do get the extremes, but overall we seem to be a pretty constant bunch in terms of American English. Now who wants pop? Or do you call it soda? Or Coke? Or sodapop? :p

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:11 pm 
Slag Fetcher
Slag Fetcher

Accents only spring up when communities remain fairly isolated. Even today, accents are becoming less and less noticeable as the world becomes more connected. With that in mind, I don't think it makes since to have worlds that are capable of interstellar communication and travel that still have accents. If a world was only recently introduced to spacefaring, then a dialect or an accent would make sense, but established interstellar races would adapt to sound like each other for ease of communication and trade.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:13 pm 
Grind Guru
Grind Guru

hawkxs wrote:
Although in my experience the differences between areas of the US aren't that noticeable - this is a Midwesterner who's been to Cali, Texas, and Virgina - you do get the extremes, but overall we seem to be a pretty constant bunch in terms of American English.
Really? I was born in Northern New Jersey with much of my family living in various points of New York City area and I can tell those two accents apart, as well as being able to tell them from New England accents. Further, I now live in Ohio and I can tell northern Ohio from other parts of Ohio, and they are both quite distinct from the East Coast accent I grew up around. Perhaps it is just a matter of different people being able to pick out different accents.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:59 pm 
Hammer Ace
Hammer Ace

It's weird, there isn't much in the way of accents in the Northwest it seems. Sure you'll get a bit of a southern accent sometimes, but none of them seem too strong. Might be because I live here though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:13 pm 
Crucible King
Crucible King

I lived in West Virginia for seven years. Lawrdy, dey still have them them thar accents. ;9 And you should listen to my northern Indiana relatives; they sound totally different then the rest of my family.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:17 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

@Napo: lol!!

sentinal133 wrote:
It's weird, there isn't much in the way of accents in the Northwest it seems. Sure you'll get a bit of a southern accent sometimes, but none of them seem too strong. Might be because I live here though.

lol

So, I guess the consensus would be that people can give their own world a special accent or dialect if they choose,
Plus, the overall language will be the Galactic Standard ... with it's many variables - per planet.

I'm good with that, since I hadn't even considered an accent. I'd be more inclined to create my own dictionary and word use. No worries, when I do there will always be a definition near by.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:28 pm 
Grind Guru
Grind Guru

Seems mC and I were typing similar posts but she beat me to it.

I agree, consensus would appear to be call the unversal language Galactic Standard and accents are optional. I, too, am more partial to using my own created language mixed in with the Galactic Standard (hooray code-switching!) and providing definitions in text if needed.

Though I suppose the question still stands do we do accent types and dialects by region or planet?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:04 pm 
Crucible King
Crucible King

Machetero wrote:
Seems mC and I were typing similar posts but she beat me to it.

I agree, consensus would appear to be call the unversal language Galactic Standard and accents are optional. I, too, am more partial to using my own created language mixed in with the Galactic Standard (hooray code-switching!) and providing definitions in text if needed.

Though I suppose the question still stands do we do accent types and dialects by region or planet?

Sounds good to me.

I'd say planet. Maybe greater region if one planet exerts influence over the others, but otherwise it just makes sense for them to be individual planets.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:15 am 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Agreed, by planet.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:29 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Location: New Castle, PA and From wherever he darn well pleases.
I've been thinking of introducing different alien races based off official minifigures sometime in the near future. I have a few ideas kicking around. My question here is: Would it be a good idea to make up names and info for alien races, or should it be something left alone? I personally would prefer to name about a dozen based off of official minifigures to help flesh out the galaxy.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 6 of 10   [ 93 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next