Change font size
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:43 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 10   [ 93 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: BrickForge Gallaxies - initial sign up and info
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:46 am 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Well, y'all be havin' a good point there. It'd be fun for each faction to represent itself through a common dialect theme, given the room for a 'personal' touch of such.

I'm sure that would fall under each faction to decide.
Options for y'all might include: Common, Southern, Pirate, British, Hick, ... or create one that in general replaces main basic words with something you guys choose, i.e., the = teh ; and = nad ; etc (makes typos useful :o) ).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:26 am 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Location: New Castle, PA and From wherever he darn well pleases.
I was with Hawkxs about calling it Common, but agree that Napo's idea sounds really good and sci-fi. I'd be cool with calling it Galactic Standard.

As far as accents, I'm cool with people trying to have a common accent to help further distinguish the different factions. I think it'd add flavor and it's a neat touch. One concern arises though is how this will effect other people that English is not their native language. Right now, I think only AlbVik falls in that category. Maybe this isn't an issue at all, I just wonder how accents are viewed from outside the US. I personally always gravitate toward British accents and would prefer that for the Alliance, even though my fig has a cowboy look to him ;9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:10 pm 
Bellow Boss
Bellow Boss

I'm not liking the accent idea just because.... I don't. Maybe make it optional, it's just not something I do.

Plus it seems like our options are decidedly not space like... Just my two cents.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:01 pm 
Crucible King
Crucible King

I could see it being optional for someone like you or AlbaVik. English accents are very space-like, IMO. The Imperials in SW, for example. Han Solo obviously drew inspiration from Cowboys, too.
Here's what I'm thinking:

Confederacy = Southern Accent. Think of Georgia and South Carolina as a standard for that accent.

Union = Cowboy/roughneck Accent. Basically, John Wayne. :P

Alliance = British Accent. What you think.

How's that sound, guys?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:38 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Location: New Castle, PA and From wherever he darn well pleases.
I like your thinking Napo for some type of uniformity, but I do think it should be optional. Some people might have difficulty using accents or prefer not to use them at all. I think accents should be optional also because the size of the sectors are so huge, the accents would vary extremely.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:13 pm 
Slag Fetcher
Slag Fetcher

I like the idea of calling it Galactic Standard. I really don't like the accents idea. Especially not the idea that the Confederacy should have a Southern accent. Speaking as someone from the South, it really bugs me when people who don't have one attempt a Southern accent.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:07 pm 
Grind Guru
Grind Guru

Quickblade wrote:
I think accents should be optional also because the size of the sectors are so huge, the accents would vary extremely.
This is part of what I was thinking in my original post. While a Galactic Standard (I can say right now I will end up shortening that to Galactic as I am too lazy to type both of those words) would for the most part be standardized, I can't see how accents would be standard to entire sectors or even regions within the sectors. Let alone the dialects that would spring up on each world. While I will agree that people in the Alliance are likely to sound different than Union or Confederacy, someone in the outer reaches of the Alliance is also bound to sound different than somehow in the more centralized areas.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:10 pm 
Crucible King
Crucible King

Good point, and I also thought of this. I was already thinking such because my "1950's world" I created for my character would sound slightly "Memphis," like Elvis. :9 Like I said, accents should be optional, but I think it would be pretty fun for most of us. Maybe parts of, say, the Union can sound New England-ish and/or have a New England feel? Perhaps the capital?

Speaking of which, what are the capitals?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:22 pm 
Bellow Boss
Bellow Boss

Like British English vs. American English there could probably be some differences in vernacular and spellings between worlds and factions...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:41 pm 
Grind Guru
Grind Guru

hawkxs wrote:
Like British English vs. American English there could probably be some differences in vernacular and spellings between worlds and factions...
And between New England American English and New York American English and Mid-Western American English....Dialects man, they get ya every time.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 10   [ 93 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next