Change font size
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:47 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Cosmic Fleet Voyager Variations
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:46 pm 
Furnace Scrub
Furnace Scrub

Rendition number one! GRAY! Old school gray, not that newish blue-gray stuffs! Along with trans-dark green! Total cost...uh, don't ask. I did save some money by not buying perfect/new decorated 2x2 bricks with the planet pattern...which should be gold colored, but the gold has faded off so they're white. New ones would have cost an arm and a leg.

I had to buy almost all new pieces for this rendition because the old gray has a ~real~ nasty flaw of YELLOWING in the sun...which means I keep this covered most of the time.

Unlike the original I had to use all trans-green window/panel pieces, cause they don't come in gray.

Rendition number two! WHITE! With trans-light blue! Um, except for that back top part there which is trans-MEDIUM blue...and I've got three of them now I need to sell because so far every time I've tried buying the piece I get some doorknob who can't tell the difference...luckily I get my money back every time...which is good, cause the real ones are expensive little buggers...the trans-medium blue ones...mmm...not so much (only about a buck each).

This was probably the hardest one to make and it's still not entirely finished yet. There are no white corner convex pieces, so it's either paint over other ones (which would be crazy given the cost of them), or to find a replacement...I found a replacement. It doesn't look as good I don't think, but it does fit perfectly. The corner double sloped and double inverted pieces are a bit pricey though (for shiny new ones), which is why I haven't yet finished this one.

Unlike the gray one this one does have uber new decorated 2x2 bricks with the planet pattern...but only cause I got a fairly decent deal on them.

Like the gray one, the white one is HIGHLY susceptible to yellowing from even indirect sunlight, so this has to be covered most of the time.

Those white window/panel pieces were ungodly expensive! Luckily I only needed six. I almost thought of just using all trans-light blue ones cause they're less expensive...although it wouldn't be as true to the original.

Third rendition! The BLACK one! My personal favorite! And the cheapest of the three as well! It uses trans-dark blue for lights. I had to use different computer pieces than the original though, cause they don't come in black. It turned out very nice though! These pictures honestly don't do it justice at all.

This one is also the most true to the original, as far as matching exact pieces. The front nose cone of this one did have to be modded though, cause it originally had a really dumb pattern on it, so I used Brasso to lift it off without damaging the plastic. Turned out real nice.

The two most expensive parts on this one were the trans-dark blue antennas on the very front as well as the trans-dark blue 4x8 plates used on the back top. It's just too bad they didn't come in 4x10, so the end 2x8 is in black.

And here's the ORIGINAL version! Just for comparison (these aren't my pictures). Blue, with mostly trans-yellow light pieces! Also has a smattering of white thrown in and trans-red.

I haven't actually finished the little car for my white version and the black version needs its wheels painted (cause they don't come in black).

Post subject: Re: Cosmic Fleet Voyager Variations
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:01 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Very cool, now all you need are some well armored Power Assault Soldiers or Shock Troopers walking out ready to take the world on!!
Nice variations. I think I actually like the grey best, but the black is pretty sweet!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:40 am 
Grind Guru
Grind Guru

Woah, that is awesome! Any chance of a group shot of the three side by side?

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good-Rom12:21

I'm just trying to love God, people, and life. We're all people, what else matters?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:44 pm 
Furnace Scrub
Furnace Scrub

This is the only group shot I've got right now...

I'll see about doing some better shots later on at some point. I'll probably wait though until I build my original blue one...although it needs a lot of new parts, cause it's so old, a lot of my original one has sun fading / yellowing on it...and I think I'm completely missing a few parts that wound up lost over the years.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:13 pm 
Grind Guru
Grind Guru

That's still a mighty impressive armada for a Lego fleet.

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good-Rom12:21

I'm just trying to love God, people, and life. We're all people, what else matters?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]