Change font size
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:04 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: FNS Hawkwing (redux) and RNJS Tony Soprano
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:43 pm 
Mould Mason
Mould Mason

In the (not quite-so) grim post-apocalyptic future of 2111, one of the most steadfast forces for good is the Federal Republic of America; remnant of and heir to the traditions of the United States, they continue to battle the forces of evil that had been unleashed by the Final War twenty years prior. Standing at their side against the nefarious Grand Duchy of New York (a nation founded by the architect of the Final War) and the Hordes of Chaos is the small, but doughty Republic of New Jersey, which was founded by the various Mafia families banding together to restore order during the chaos following the catastrophic antimatter exchange that marked the end of the Final War.

Part of the alliance's strength is their powerful navies, consisting of a variety of ships crewed by brave men and women and led by stalwart captains. A key factor in building these navies is the tech-sharing program that allows the FRA and New Jersey to pool their research and military construction programs. One early result of this collaboration is the Federal Republic Kestrel-class Frigates (FF) and Republic of New Jersey John-Gotti-class Guided Missile Frigates (FFG).

Here we have a representative ship from each class, namely the Kestrel-class frigate, FNS Hawkwing (FF-03), and the John Gotti-class guided missile frigate, RNJS Tony Soprano (FFG-004). Armed with a formidable array of weapons and salty crews with brave captains, they are ready to take on any pirates, Confederate Gunboats, Grand Duchy of New York coastal patrols or Chaos raiders that might cross their path:

FNS Hawkwing:

Hawkwing Port by Hikaro Takayama, on Flickr

Vital statistics (data from the 2110 edition of Jaynes Fighting Ships):

Data: FF-03, Kestrel Class Frigate, Manufactured by BFG Industries in Philadelphia, PA as part of a joint Naval construction project with the Republic of New Jersey, Corleone Shipyards, LTD.
Launch Date: 2089
Current CO: Lt. Commander Honor S. Harrington, Federal Republic of America Navy
Armament:
Guns: Two 3" (76mm) dual-purpose cannons, two aft-mounted BA-Industries MG-3/42 machineguns (7.62 NATO) and three bridge-wing mounted BA Industries Lewis-Lexington Heavy machineguns (.50 BMG).
Missiles: Two MK-75 twin medium-range Merculite Multipurpose Missile (MMM) launchers
Torpedoes: Two MK-50 sonar-guided long-range heavy anti-ship torpedoes.
Propulsion: Twin John Reed 12-cylinder 1500 HP bio-diesel engines with a cruising speed of about 40 Knots.

Notes: The Federal Republic of America version of this ship differs from the original Republic of New Jersey Kestrel class frigates in that it has the BFG Industries MK-98 Search/Track radar as opposed to the Corleone Shipyards Target Acquisition System (TAS) Mark-7, along with an added Furuno Commercial Navigation radar (for both standard navigation and deceptive tactics to fool enemy ships into thinking the frigate is a mere fishing vessel) and the PRC-99 directional HF communications array. Furthermore, the RNJ Navy's "Nebelwerfer" style aft-mounted multiple rocket launcher system is replaced by a second 3-inch/76mm cannon.

FWD View:
Hawkwing Fwd by Hikaro Takayama, on Flickr

Aft View:
Hawkwing Aft by Hikaro Takayama, on Flickr

Her brave Crew:

Hawkwing's Crew by Hikaro Takayama, on Flickr
L-R: 7 Seamen and Junior Petty Officers, Chief Aubrey Wandermann, Senior Chief Inara D'lann, Master Cheif Ginger Lewis, Lt. William Turner (XO) and Lt. Cmdr Honor Harrington (CO)

Click on any of the pics to see the rest of the set, including interior views of the bridge and main deck.

RNJS Tony Soprano:

Tony Soprano Port by Hikaro Takayama, on Flickr

Vital statistics (data from the 2110 edition of Jaynes Fighting Ships):

Data: FFG-04, John Gottie Class Frigate, Manufactured by Corleone Shipyards, LTD in Camden, NJ as part of a joint Naval construction project with the Federal Republic of America and BFG Industries.
Launch Date: 2096
Current CO: Lt. Commander Archibald Haddock, Republic of New Jersey Navy
Armament:
Guns: One 3" (76mm) dual-purpose cannon, two aft-mounted BA-Industries MG-3/42 machineguns (7.62 NATO) and three bridge-wing mounted BA Industries Lewis-Lexington Heavy machineguns (.50 BMG).
Missiles: Two MK-75 twin medium-range Multipurpose Merculite Missile (MMM) launchers and One aft-mounted 6-round MK-7 3" (76mm) "Screaming Mimi" short-range Multipurpose Merculite Missile (MMM) launcher.
Torpedoes: Two MK-50 sonar-guided long-range heavy anti-ship torpedoes.
Propulsion: Twin John Reed 12-cylinder 1500 HP bio-diesel engines with a cruising speed of about 40 Knots.

Notes: The Republic of New Jersey named this ship after Doge Antonia Soprano's Great-Great Grandfather.

FWD View:
Tony Soprano Fwd by Hikaro Takayama, on Flickr

Aft View:
Tony Soprano Aft by Hikaro Takayama, on Flickr

The Crew:

Tony Soprano Crew by Hikaro Takayama, on Flickr

Far Right is Lt. Cmdr. Archibald Haddock, and immediately to his left is Lt. Marcia Salvatore

Again, click on any of the pics to see the rest of the set.

4th wall stuff: I decided to change the Hawkwing to light bley in color to fit in better with my emerging general "paint scheme" for the Federal Republic's Navy.. I.e. more white/light bley than black and dark bley (as was evident from the FNS Inferno and RNJS Thunder Child), and used a slightly modified version of the dark bley original version of the ship for the RNJS Tony Soprano. I also didn't like the original ladder going from the main deck to the 01 Level, or the fact that there was no visible means of going from the 01 Level to the 02 Level platform, and after thinking a while on it, I came up with the idea of using two 1x2 Ladder plates (in contrasting colors) to give the impression of a typical exterior shipboard ladder, and was quite pleased with how it turned out. Finally, the "Screaming Mimi" missile launcher on the Tony Soprano is based on Brickmania's Nebelwerfer kit (one of which I bought at Brickfair last year), but modified into a shipboard mounted version.

I hope you like them, and Comments and Criticism is always welcome.

Post subject: Re: FNS Hawkwing (redux) and RNJS Tony Soprano
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:29 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

This ship is awesome, but your crewmen are just as amazing!!
Excellent works :o)

Post subject: Re: FNS Hawkwing (redux) and RNJS Tony Soprano
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:29 pm 
Mould Mason
Mould Mason

Thanks for the comments, MinifigCharmed... I had been struggling with what to use as the crewmen for the New Jersey ships when the Series 4 collectible Minifigs came out. Then I knew I had to use the Sailor for the RNJ Navy enlisted personnel. I used the blue-jacketed pirates (both old and new) as the enlisted/senior NCO uniforms of the Federal Repubilc of America... A tradition going back to before my first Dark Age (a.k.a. the Final War).... Although, back then, due to the internet not being around (or later right before I went to my first dark age in 1994, a rich man's toy), I only had enough blue jackets to make them the senior NCO's, with the rest of the Navy being generic stripey shirt pirates... Interestingly enough, I have enough blue-shirted Captain Jack Sparrow figs that I could possibly make a ship crewed entirely by fleshies with Jack's shirt and white pants....

Anyways, I decided to change the 02-Level platforms to blue as per a suggestion by Si-MOCs on Eurobricks, in order to balance the colors out a bit better. It actually looks pretty good:

Frigates with Blue 02 LVL Platform by Hikaro Takayama, on Flickr

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]