Change font size
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:13 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 13 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Memory Lane
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:55 pm 
Hammer Ace
Hammer Ace

So this a thread for you to post happy memories from the past and discuss them with each other. Depressing and aggravating memories are also encouraged because sharing those can relieve stress and feelings of depression. Enjoy; and I'll start.

I was talking with my dad about planting some flowering fruit trees in the front yard because they look beautiful in bloom, but for me there's a more important reason behind it. After they've bloomed and the fruit has grown, I want the kids getting out from school to pick them and eat them. In middle school there was a huge row of plum trees running along the path to and from the school. Everyone would always hop across the little ditch and grab two or three plums to eat on the way home. We all enjoyed it, and it was a great way to end the school day. It was harmless too, because the owner of the trees only used them for decoration. It wasn't and orchard or anything. Just an ornamental wall of trees. My dad and his school mates used to do the same thing way back in the 60's. I just learned that the guy who owns half of our town bought that area and all the trees cut down. Not only does it feel like part of my childhood was destroyed, I also feel that future generations are being deprived of simple, yet important experience.

So there we go. I hope this proves to be a moderately active topic. If you do decide to post; enjoy it.

Post subject: Re: Memory Lane
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:53 am 
Chisel Hand
Chisel Hand

I can relate to that story about the trees, Mac. By the first school I went to, there was a large chestnut tree, which we always collected chestnuts from in the autumn. I remember a tradition I had with my best (and one of the only by then) friend back then where we'd pick up a bag of them and get home to grill them with salt. Another thing of the kind at that school was a series of bushes with red, sour-tasting leaves that most of us were chewing on during many breaks.
Now, the school's not even in use anymore. It was active for adult immigrants for a while, but was deemed too old and rotten. This isn't as drastic as your trees, but after all, no more kids will get to eat those chestnuts now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:59 pm 
Smelt Sire
Smelt Sire

When gas was a dollar.

-Omi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:40 pm 
Crucible King
Crucible King

Omicron wrote:
When gas was a dollar.

-Omi

This, a thousand times this.
When it only took ~$20 to fill up my car, not ~$50

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:43 pm 
Hammer Ace
Hammer Ace

Ahhhhh. When I was younger and I dreamed of the day I could get my drivers license. Well. I could have gotten my license like 5 years ago, but now I'm to self conscious about my skills to take the test.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:08 pm 
Crucible King
Crucible King

I got my license the day after my first day of detasseling because my dad didn't want to get up at 4am to take me every morning. Same day I got my car.
Speaking of which, there's a good memory. My first car.
God I love this thing.
My dad found it for me on craigslist in Seward, NE (Half hour drive). I saw it and kinda thought "Ehhh" because, well, it wasn't a camaro. And it was only $300, how good could that be? Upon arriving, I noticed it at least had black rims that didn't look too bad... Okay, one point for the car. Tinted windows... Even though its a weird purple-ish blue-ish color... Half a point. It was a V6, not a 4 banger, point for car. Automatic... Eh, I'd rather have a manual but I can't complain. Drivers side window didn't work... -5 points. That part sucked so much.
I didn't even get to drive the car before we bought it, my dad was the one that test drove it. But I decided it was cool enough for me and so we bought it. Hooray!

I drove it to detasseling at 4am. It was so freeing having my own car and I ended up going to my friends house almost every day just because I could. However, the drive kinda sucked because the drivers side window didn't work.
...Let's think about this. Black car. Tinted windows. Left in the sun all day while I was detasseling. It got kinda hot. And that heat didn't dissipate very fast. I remember one day as I was leaving detasseling I opened my door while someone else was standing behind me waiting to get in my car, and as I opened it a heat wave comes out and she says "Holy god that is hot. You're going to drive that?"

Being my first car, I was inclined to attempt to fix some things myself. I got a buddy to help me replace the window motor, thank god. So amazing, air.
Next upon my list was the peeling paint on the hood. Spraypaint to the rescue! Looked alright until it peeled more.
And then my first 'real' mod: Exhaust. This would end up being probably the most changed part on the car. First I tried a glasspack muffler replacing the stock muffler. This was my setup for quite a while. Then I was going to try removing the glasspack and trying straight piped with a cat convertor... My car apparently disagreed with me, as I pulled the cat off along with the glasspack. This lead to me driving a car that dumped exhaust from the center of the car where the cat used to be... It. Was. Loud. Drove it that way for a couple weeks then put a pipe so the exhaust came out the back. Slightly more manageable. However, neighbors, parents, and friends still complained. So I put the glasspack where the cat used to be and now I have a decent sounding car, still got some deep tone while not deafening my passengers. Other mods included painting the filler panels on the back, tinting the headlights, tinting the taillights, installing red underglow, and painting some random things red instead of white (Chevy logo on center cap of rims, GT logos on inside of doors, Chevy bowtie edges on grill, etc). Planning on painting my brake calipers, painting over the ugly purple and green GT logo on the outside of the doors, and the beretta logo on the back.

...Man that was long and drawn out. Ah well, I love my car. Good memory.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:00 am 
Crucible King
Crucible King

Biohazard wrote:
Omicron wrote:
When gas was a dollar.

-Omi

This, a thousand times this.
When it only took ~$20 to fill up my car, not ~$50

I don't pay for gas, but seconded. It makes me feel like an old grandpaw just thinking about it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:30 pm 
Hammer Ace
Hammer Ace

This is one of my favorites. Swearing really loudly in class. I don't get to do it anymore because I don't talk at my new school, and I would rather not create problems there. My old school was whole nother story. I remember once in Environmental science I thought the teacher had left. I looked in this National Geographic magazine and saw some horrific deep sea creature and just yelled WTF (unabbreviated of course)! Well. The teacher was absolutely still in the room. I don't know why I though he'd left. He was sitting in his desk at the front of the classroom. Thank god they only put stoners in that class. If it had been a normal class I would have gotten suspended. Good good times. I should go visit some of the teachers. A lot of former students stop by to talk to their favorite teachers, but I wanna go annoy my most hated teachers some more.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:16 pm 
Grind Guru
Grind Guru

I hated high school, a lot, because of my learning disabilities. And because of my weight I was always self conscious and never made a lot of friends. But now I'm doing college work. I go to class, I sit there listening to my professors, and then I go home. Now that I don't live in the dorms or campus apartments anymore I don't have regular contact with people my own age, aside from talking to my friends over the internet or xbox. So I miss the days where I was in school all day surrounded by others. If only I could swap out the boring high school work with the interesting college work I'd totally go back.

And on the fruit, my friend's neighbor had a fig bush. We'd go over and pick some of the figs to have. Now it just feels like everyone's too protective of anything that's "theirs", including a piece of fruit they don't plan to eat, but it came from their tree, so don't be going that one foot onto their property to get it. And even if the people aren't protective of it a lot of parents seem over protective, won't let their kids eat food off the ground or food from someone else's tree. Cause you know, they could poison their tree just waiting for you to eat from it.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:46 pm 
Hammer Ace
Hammer Ace

Back when I was in a brick and mortar school. Now that all of my freinds are in highschool I hardly hear from them.

UltimatBlitz wrote:
I hated high school, a lot, because of my learning disabilities. And because of my weight I was always self conscious and never made a lot of friends. But now I'm doing college work. I go to class, I sit there listening to my professors, and then I go home. Now that I don't live in the dorms or campus apartments anymore I don't have regular contact with people my own age, aside from talking to my friends over the internet or xbox. So I miss the days where I was in school all day surrounded by others. If only I could swap out the boring high school work with the interesting college work I'd totally go back.

Does it really get better in college?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 13 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next