Change font size
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:37 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: The end for the classic Lego horse
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:50 am 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Location: New Castle, PA and From wherever he darn well pleases.
This news was brought up on Friday and I thought it was appropriate to mention here for a few reasons I will touch on after the article. Source is from Classic-Castle, which got it from Eurobricks, which got it from somewhere,I presume Lego.

Quote:
"Our core target audience of 5-10 year old boys has told us in ongoing testing that the original LEGO horse is a bit ‘baby-ish’, and too static to play with properly. So we’ve re-designed the LEGO horse to make it more dynamic, pose-able and appealing by adding a higher level of detail. The new horse will appear in the LEGO Lord of the Rings sets will be released in June 2012.

"The new horse can now kick, bolt and rear up on its hind legs, making it much more playable and pose-able, while the refined detail level has also made it seem more ‘grown-up’ and ‘cooler’ in kids’ eyes.

"In making these changes we have obviously had to take into consideration several different challenges.

"First, we are fully aware that the ‘original’ horse may be perceived as a LEGO icon in many consumers’ eyes. So, when designing the new horse, we did our best to create a new version that pays homage to the original horse, particularly its proportions, silhouette and decoration style.

"Second, we have made some design choices in regards to the compatibility between the ‘new’ horse and the existing horse accessories. The existing saddle element can be used with the new version of the horse. The new horse can also wear the current barding, although it cannot be posed while wearing this element. We will be developing a replacement barding for future product launches, ensuring that the horse can be dressed for battle and still be fully pose-able.
However, by streamlining the new horse’s head to make it more dynamic and more like a ‘real’ horse, we had to decide that the existing horse headgear/head plates would not compatible with the new horse. These pieces will also soon be replaced with new elements in future products.

"We apologize for any inconvenience or frustration this may cause to certain collectors, but we are striving to ensure that we are ultimately creating the best product and play experience for our core audience for the long term."

Lego has been evolving rapidly in the past decade. The sales increasing after they secured the Stars Wars license seemed to light a fire under them to make some big changes in how they do business. I'd credit customizers (namely BrickForge) for their approach to things involving minifigs and their accessories. While Lego came out with their own cow and pig (5 years after BF made their own for fans, and way too late in my opinion in the first place) they changed the way they looked to a rounder version. "Seem more 'grown up' and 'cooler' " Yea, keep telling yourself that. The new horse does look cool though. The supposed playability looks nice also. Hopefully they will come out in a variety of colors instead of the over 30 years of just having 3 colors to choose from. Which brings me to another grip. The absolute stupidity of Lego for not making more colors available for horses is baffling. So anyways, they claim to be working on barding for these new horses. If they treat that like they have the color palette, you'll all be able to experience them with your grand children. Personally, I'd like to see some inventive customizer make their own barding using something like the canvas Lego uses to make capes and sails. I'm not angry about the new horse design. I just hate that they yet again dropped the ball on making the classic looking ones in the wide variety of colors. Oh, and one other thing......the "core audience of 5-10 yr old boys"...I hope that they didn't find these kids in the same place they found the other 5-10 yr old idiots that supposedly didn't think "elves" were a good idea when they made the Fantasy Era Castle line.

Post subject: Re: The end for the classic Lego horse
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:47 pm 
Grind Guru
Grind Guru

I saw this on CC. It's a real shame they're getting rid of the old horses, even if the new ones are really cool. Next thing you know, they'll have a new, pointy, sword because the old ones were 'too unrealistic'.

Wait a minute! It was the 5-10 year olds who kept elves out of Castle? X0 Where was this info revealed?

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good-Rom12:21

I'm just trying to love God, people, and life. We're all people, what else matters?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:16 pm 
Cast Cleaner
Cast Cleaner

Well that's a bummer, I also would've liked to see the old horse in more colors. At least this isn't the worst design this new direction of art style has produced (I'm mainly thinking of the revamped SW Watto and Ewoks here). I think the rounder form and intricate printing actually makes the pieces look more "baby-ish" and cartoon-like. Though it's good to know that they're looking back to the original while designing the new one. The complexity and pose-ability will most likely make it more expensive, which is a shame as well.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:06 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

A shame indeed. The new ones are cool, but the older ones are Lego ... they match our minfigs.
I understand marketing, and wanting to stay with the "in" folks who they think buy most of their product, it would be nice if they somehow decided to have both ... we'll see.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:42 pm 
Slag Fetcher
Slag Fetcher

Aw, I wanted my Nazgul horses to wear the bright red dragon horse helmets. Oh, well.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:37 pm 
Grind Guru
Grind Guru

I saw this on another LEGO forum I lurk a few days ago and I'm still not sure how I feel about it. The current LEGO horse is kind of an icon, as well as pretty well entrenched in my childhood. I'll agree with Quickblade that LEGO dropped the ball on giving us more variety in the original horse, and animals in general, however I feel a need to point out that LEGO had soem hard financial times not too long ago and I'm sure that hurt their desire or ability to create new parts or even new colors for horses.
Also, I remember fairly well when some of the images broke of the LotR sets that many of us here on the forum were quite excited about the possibility of a posable horse. As minfigCharmed said, it would be great if the two horses could coexist in the LEGO universe.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:55 am 
Forge Master
Forge Master

I need to echo the sentiment that LEGO has indeed been changing rapidly the past 10 years. I grew up in the 80's where the sets were plain and recycled elements from a much smaller palette and there was no significance given to the minifig. Nowadays with thousands more elements, the models have a better likeness, the build is much more involved and the minifigs have developed a prominence never seen before. This is due to the 70's/80's generation 'growing up' and developing a higher-caliber approach to building with LEGO bricks. Along with them the ever growing group of customizers from the early 2000's have played an integral part in causing TLG to focus more on the figures. Likewise, companies like BrickForge have caused them to rethink the design of their animals as well.

I will miss the original 'blocky' style of animals.

-A

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]