Change font size
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:47 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 12 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Building Or Playing?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:21 pm 
Furnace Scrub
Furnace Scrub

I'm curious to know if there are any other "Littles" here besides me...although I guess technically every adult Lego enthusiast would have to be at least a "Little" ~bit~ so to speak...unless they're in denial. I've seen some fiercely defend the "building" label while fully rejecting the very idea of "playing", almost as if they're afraid of their inner child or being seen as childlike in any way. As a "Little" though I openly embrace my overly active inner child...makes life more fun! :D

Post subject: Re: Building Or Playing?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:55 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Location: New Castle, PA and From wherever he darn well pleases.
I've never heard that term used before. I build to play. No point in it for me if I don't consider playing. Since I have moved away from home and discovered the online community, I have gotten away from the playing aspect, and I'm unhappy with myself for that. I have friends that just seem to build and their MOC's are awesome. I'd love to have them build MOCs that I could just play in. The topic of people defending their love of LEGO by way of masking it is a whole different issue. I won't rant here, but I have little respect or use for them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:47 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I mostly build, but if you catch me when I am bored, I will have whatever recent craft I have made, swooshing and making "pew pew" sounds to my heart's content.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:40 am 
Furnace Scrub
Furnace Scrub

I think my favorite form of playing is "disasters", like having a great big ship smash right through the space station you just built! Then it's time for repairs and recovery! I like to setup little scenes with minifigures and such as well. Kind of making a story out of it. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:29 pm 
Furnace Scrub
Furnace Scrub

Mmmm, fyi, for those that have never heard of "Littles" we're sort of like "Adult Babies" or "ABs"...only older. Basically a form of age-play. I guess you could call us "Adult Kids". We tend to have a child like perception mixed with adult level intellect. While most bormals grow up and get old, we stay young and never lose our ability to enjoy the little things in life.

We derive happiness, excitement, entertainment and fun out of things like glowsticks...
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 5fd7480845

And cereal box toys...
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... df68a489a1

Coloring, watching cartoons, playing with toys, amusement parks, basically any kid stuff. There's quite a number of different forms and offshoots as well. LARPing for example can be considered a form of age-play. A lot of people though have been socially engineered to feel ashamed and embarrassed about doing anything childish or child-like, which gives rise to a lot of "Closet Littles" so to speak, who will for example vehemently deny that cartoons are just for kids or that watching cartoons makes them childish, etc. It's almost like they're afraid of really enjoying their own interest.

Anyone can be a "Little" if they want, it's not like there's an entrance exam or anything. LOL Although some "Littles" don't entirely have a choice. Those like myself had less than stellar babyhoods and childhoods, forced to grow up and to be adult like from a very young age, basically we had our childhoods ripped out of us. It creates a kind of void inside you, one that can never be filled in, but one that you constantly feel a need to try. For those like myself there are effectively two sides to us, an adult side and a "Little" side, with the "Little" side often taking dominance.

It often manifests itself as procrastination, when really, it's just our "Little" side refuses to want to do anything adult like or deal with responsibilities, so we often wind up putting things off until the very last second...or putting them off completely.

We also have to be careful because we can be manipulated by others. Basically we have an innate tendency to respond to any form of adult like authority like a child, so if someone is treating us like a child and acting like an adult to us, they can basically get us to do just about anything, even if it's potential dangerous or something that we really don't want to do.

Because of our child-like perception we often don't take things like religion and politics very seriously...at all. Bormal "grown up" concerns like that are, honestly, pretty silly to us. We worry more about where the red crayon went and where that Lego piece we just saw five minutes ago went. We tend to have extremely low levels of stress as a result.

Even non "Littles" or "Bigs" as we call them, can benefit greatly from doing "Little" stuff, things like coloring, stuffed animals, playing with Legos, binkies, watching cartoons, etc, etc, they're all really great forms of stress relief. Basically you can just "let go" of your adult problems and concerns for a little while and take a little mini-vacation so to speak, as a child with no real worries or concerns or stress.

Basically, I think you tend to get a lot more out of life when you're a "Little"...plus you'll probably live a lot longer due to the decreased stress. Stress makes you old and tired, physically and emotionally...which is probably why at age 32 I still look like I'm 18 and feel like I'm 8! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:40 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Brickule wrote:
I mostly build, but if you catch me when I am bored, I will have whatever recent craft I have made, swooshing and making "pew pew" sounds to my heart's content.

lol ... I would be sooo close to this. I do enjoy placing and posing, thus the fun of the builds and diaramas :o)

I'm an adult, probably the oldest here, I would still consider myself an ALF!!
I enjoy the customizing, the creation of building, and the awesomeness of a well done creation no matter who makes it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:57 am 
Hammer Ace
Hammer Ace

Location: Home, probably playing Runescape. !,,!, (o.o) ,!,,!
It's kind of hard for me to say whether I prefer playing to building, because I'm not quite sure what it is that makes me like Lego. I don't have the most flexible imagination, so I usually just build the sets and try to fit them into one of the many stories I have building in my head. Though on occasion I will play. Very recently I was playing Lego with my younger siblings, and my character was a Coffee Demon King; whose goal was to control all adults by making them dependent on coffee.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:48 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Blue Moon Knight wrote:
It's kind of hard for me to say whether I prefer playing to building, because I'm not quite sure what it is that makes me like Lego. I don't have the most flexible imagination, so I usually just build the sets and try to fit them into one of the many stories I have building in my head. Though on occasion I will play. Very recently I was playing Lego with my younger siblings, and my character was a Coffee Demon King; whose goal was to control all adults by making them dependent on coffee.

That's Awesome!!

I got started with Lego ... when I homeschooled my kids and we needed something to do during our countless winter days. Very cool.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:26 am 
Cast Cleaner
Cast Cleaner

For me it's always playing. Most of the clients of mine and nearly all of my wife's clients know of my Lego "hobby". They know of my fondness for Transformers, Power Rangers and Yugioh. None of them mind it one bit. If I'm out in public and I have a cart full of Lego (the Wal-Mart and Toys R Us in Hartford CT just LOVES it when I show up) and someone comments on how much my kids love Lego I usually tell them it's for me. Love the looks I get for that. I'm long over caring for what others think of me like that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:56 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Arcanamachi wrote:
For me it's always playing. Most of the clients of mine and nearly all of my wife's clients know of my Lego "hobby". They know of my fondness for Transformers, Power Rangers and Yugioh. None of them mind it one bit. If I'm out in public and I have a cart full of Lego (the Wal-Mart and Toys R Us in Hartford CT just LOVES it when I show up) and someone comments on how much my kids love Lego I usually tell them it's for me. Love the looks I get for that. I'm long over caring for what others think of me like that.

I hear you!!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 12 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next