Change font size
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:54 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Biiiiiiiig Ship!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:24 am 
Furnace Scrub
Furnace Scrub

I've started work on building an uber massive ship, you can see progress on it here:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.343703638992788.105654.100000594643800&type=1&l=d25920c9ab

Preview image of the base hull:

The front end will be based on the Cosmic Fleet Voyager model...only modified a bit. I think before I get really into it though I'm going to build a completely all black version of the original...just because I can now, since I finally obtained the last missing black piece via Brasso fun:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=340919729271179&l=54fa5f6498

I was also stumped on the 4 x 4 x 6 Outward Sloping Windows, but suddenly realized I could just put two black ones of these together (one in reverse):

...and get the exact same effect. Pretty nifty! :D

Those black ship hull pieces by the way are a GOD SEND! I have ~literally~ been waiting for over a DECADE for them to produce black ones! I even went so far as to try and ~paint~ brown ones black at one point (didn't work so well). They're pretty well absolutely necessary for building stable and semi-stable uber big ships that won't fall all apart if you try and pick them up.

The ship will wind up looking slightly different as I start to build it up though...less squarish/boxy and more swoopy...in fact the fronts of the nacelles will probably slope inward into the main base and the backs of the nacelles will protrude further back and out to the side a bit.

I was a bit disappointed when I started the initial design of the medical bay:

In hindsight I wish I had gone with 2x2 tiles instead of 1x1 tiles, as the later don't line up very well at all.

I got some of these that I'm planning on using as semi-floaty medical trays:

Should make a neat effect. Not too certain on the stretchers though, might do something different. The sides, in the middle, will also have 2x2x3 medium blue cupboards.

It'll house a couple personal shuttles and one large shuttle (you can see them on the link) and likely a detachable attack fighter fighter or two, semi-built into the top section of the ship most likely.

Gonna take a lot of work, but it's gonna be a lot of fun! Mmmm, word to the wise, don't order from too many people on BL all at once, cause the postal carrier gets a bit peevish having to truck 20 boxes and padded envelops up to your door all at once. ^__^

Post subject: Re: Biiiiiiiig Ship!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:21 pm 
Furnace Scrub
Furnace Scrub

wow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:43 pm 
Crucible King
Crucible King

Well, I'd say that's a big ship :9

Looking good so far! You better keep us updated.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:28 am 
Furnace Scrub
Furnace Scrub

Hmmm, well I started my plan to build an original version of the Cosmic Fleet Voyager in black with transparent dark blue lights...but hit a bit of a snag on several cosmetic bits I was missing. So...rather than just skip over them completely I decided to place some orders! :D

It actually took 6 orders total, spent about $50 in all, the main highlights can be seen here:

Unfortunately there are no black 1x2 bricks with a left facing arrow...but there are ones with downward facing arrows! So I got those.

The other bad spot was that there are no 4x10 transparent dark blue plates, only 4x8 ones, so I'll have to make due with those.

There's also no black 1x2 decorated tiles with the old school computer pattern on them, so I figure I'll just use one of the modern ones in their place.

Found some other neat stuff too while I was browsing, like those decorated transparent purple radar dishes. I'm going to use Brasso on them to take off the pattern and then I can have one more thing to add to small, but growing baggie of transparent purple stuffs! Speaking of which, if you're not aware, Lego ~finally~ came out with a transparent purple windscreen!

Nifty! :D

I also got a bunch of those silver and copper circular pattern tiles, which I was thinking I'll use for a holodeck type room, having them on the floor, walls and ceiling (not sure how I'm going to pull that off yet)...but I need to get a lot more, obviously. I've already got about 30 of them so it was nice stumbling across a little horde for sale with the new stuff I was looking for.

Got a couple more sets of medium blue doors too, the ones I was talking about using in the medical bay.

That transparent green computer screen is also really cool, never seen that before, although I was ~sorta~ hoping I would stumble across one of these in transparent dark blue:

I've already got one in transparent red:

Those are the only two colors they come in.

That glow-in-the-dark lightsaber blade is also quite interesting. Seems here lately there's been a whole slew of new transparent colors for them, including purple, light purple, dark pink, bright green and glow-in-the-dark. I just checked and the glow-in-the-dark one was the only one I was missing. It's fun completing color collections! ^__^

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:11 am 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

This looks great so far, thanks for sharing. It's cool to see how different people go a out building and helps give ideas too.
Can't wait to see progress.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:09 pm 
Cast Cleaner
Cast Cleaner

Location: Deep underground, waiting for the return of Morgoth...
Wow. Keep going!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:16 pm 
Furnace Scrub
Furnace Scrub

Been playing around with ideas for the warp cores / engine rooms of the ship's two nacelles.
I kind of like this idea of making a sort of big tube with the warp reactors housed in the center:

A different angle of the same idea:

This is the general form I'm going to use for the warp core...although I might use red for the center "stream" instead of the all blue.
Alternatively I suppose I could also go with a rainbow spectrum...although that might look a lil too fruity. :3

This thing was a major pain the arse to construct...I can't even really tell you ~how~ I made it, it's so complex. The trick is getting the middle/center antenna in first while not losing the alignment of the others in the process, sorta squeezing your fingers in between and slightly bowing the others while you force it up through the middle.

The pieces in the end also help hold it all together, but the design is even more complex in that it's only stable/solid in a very particular length...push it in a little farther, it'll become loose as a goose. Pull it out a little farther, the same happens. Like I said...complicated, but it looks cool! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:15 pm 
Crucible King
Crucible King

That looks pretty awesome. Complicated but well worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:12 pm 
Furnace Scrub
Furnace Scrub

The all black/trans blue Cosmic Fleet Voyager is coming along quite nicely, just waiting for a few more pieces in the mail. I'm thinking I'll use it as the front end of the big ship, unaltered, just cause it looks so cool.

I am a bit torn on something though. There are no 1x2 black brick pieces with the old space logo pattern on them, ~however~ there ARE some STICKERS that can be found...

...the cost? EIGHTY FIVE DOLLARS! o_O

...for just the three.

And that's it, that's the only option available to create an exact match.

There's also these:

...but no one selling any.

There are however these ones from the semi-recent Mars sets:

...not an exact match, but it's pretty close. Cost is under $3, so that's a LOT better.

So I'm not really sure if I wanna pay a whole epic gob of money just to go for "attempted perfection", or simply settle for "close enough". Ultimately it's impossible to get everything perfect, like I had to leave the wheels on the little rover gray because there are no black ones (unless I paint them). And likewise I used modern black computer tiles/screens, since there are no originals in black.

I'd like to get some opinions about it though. If you were in my position, and money wasn't really an issue, would you go for "attempted perfection", or just settle for "close enough"?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:04 pm 
Crucible King
Crucible King

I'm sure you can find a custom decal vendor to make you some classic space logos. For much less then $85 for three!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next