Change font size
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:57 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Sky-Spear Class Long Range Space Fighters
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:10 pm 
Mould Mason
Mould Mason

In 2075, during what would become known as the Final War, Dr. Regis Blackgaard, megalomaniacal madman and insane genius, upon realizing that he would soon face defeat at the hands of the coalition led by the North American Union, initiated "Plan Ragnarok", whereby he triggered malware carefully secreted into the major powers' launch control systems for their Anti-Matter arsenals, causing all Anti-Matter ICBMs to launch simultaneously. His initial hope was that the entire world would either be reduced enough for him to easily take over when he and his elite Blacktron Guard landed their ships, or completely wiped out, allowing him to rebuild it in his image.

Unfortunately for him and his nefarious plans was the fact that Dr. Bones, foremost scientist for the North American Union, was able to detect the activation of the malware soon enough to issue a general warning to all the major coalition powers (NA Union, European Union and East Asian Federation) for them to attempt to somehow intercept the missiles in flight. While various space fighter squadrons made heroic sacrifices to intercept and destroy Anti-Matter ICBMs in flight, none were nearly as successful, or had as high losses as the 22nd North American Space Fighter Wing, led by Col. Hikaro Takayama. They managed to destroy 85% of the North America bound missiles short of their objectives, however out of a 36-ship fighter wing, only the Colonel and his Wingman, Fritz Diehlmann survived the mission.

Now, some 30 years after the Final War, and the chaos that ensued, not only due to damage from the Anti-Matter bombs, but the disturbances in the space-time continuum caused by such a massive release of energy, the world is re-building. The Federal Republic of America, heir to the traditions of the North American Union, still has the two heroic Sky-Spear Fighters from the 22nd Space Fighter Wing. Fritz Diehlmann now flies Hikaro's Fighter, since Hikaro has taken charge of the Federal Special Operations Command. These two ships are the only Hyperspace-capable spacecraft left in the entire world (contact with the colony worlds was cut off during the apocalyptic Anti-Matter exchange), with the exception of one A. Skywalker's modified "TIE Fighter", but that's another story.

Sky-Spear Fighters, Side View by Hikaro Takayama, on Flickr

The two Surviving Sky Spear units. The one on the left is missing its main ION-Thruster module (currently being repaired), and is in the standard coloring of the North American Union and current Federal Republic of America Space Fighter livery, which dates back to the Rebellion "Futuron" space force during the war with the Galactic Empire in 1988. The one on the right is General Takayama's personal craft and the original Prototype built in 1989, which finally allowed the Earth Alliance (and Rebel Allies) to break the stalemate with the Galactic Empire and destroy their latest planet-destroying superweapon.

Sky-Spear Fighters Front Quarter View by Hikaro Takayama, on Flickr

Here the fighters are seen with their windscreens up, and you can plainly see the old, pre-Final War North American Union space suits... Suitable Replacements are on order from TLG industries, but it could be some time before they arrive, due to more pressing needs on various fronts due to aggression from the Grand Duchy of New York (Dr. Regis Blackgaard's latest nation), The Hordes of Chaos, and the Neo-CSA.

Sky-Spear Fighters, Rear Quarter View by Hikaro Takayama, on Flickr

And here you can see the thruster assembly on the Original, and the mounting brackets for the thrusters on the production model.

This is a map of the various post-Final War Factions in North America, so you have some idea of what and where this is going on:

NorthAMLEGO by Hikaro Takayama, on Flickr

Now for the run-down: I first built the Sky Spear II in 1989, and have been modifying/improving it since then. My lasted improvement session was yesterday, when I added a few detail parts and replaced most of the yellowed white pieces on it. That said, the windscreen is from the original Space Police I Galactic Peacekeeper, which I bought in 1989, the main thruster assembly and the outer maneuvering thrusters/Ion Cannons mounted under the wings are from the FUTURON Cosmic Laser Launcher, and the boat hull sections that form the bottom are from the Kings Oarsman boat (among others available back then), and the color scheme is basically the illegitimate offspring of FUTURON and Space Police I. The "Production model" was started in 1998, and uses parts from some Exploriens set, but I was going for a straght FUTURON look for it. Up until very recently (like, yesterday), it was only about half as long as the original, due to lack of parts and/or interest. I discovered, while going through some of my smaller sets and MOCs (to tear them down and add their parts to my parts pool for building bigger stuff), that I had enough white boat hull pieces to make it into a full-sized version. The "Air Force Roundel" shields on the side are, of course, BrickForge "American Hero" Battle shields. I just need to make PAB order to get another white 4x4 cone piece to finish out the "Production Model" version... I just wish LEGO still made those windscreens. :~(

Anyways, let me know what you think of these classic-styled ships of mine, and I hope you enjoyed them.

Post subject: Re: Sky-Spear Class Long Range Space Fighters
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:35 am 
Cast Cleaner
Cast Cleaner

Location: Deep underground, waiting for the return of Morgoth...
I like it!

Nice map!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:29 pm 
Mould Mason
Mould Mason

Glad you like them... My LEGO setting is based on the LEGO war games my brother and I used to play when we were kids, and the Sky Spear II was the only MOC of mine to survive my first Dark Age.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:19 am 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

That's awesome, I love the map and everything!
Glad it survived!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:26 pm 
Cast Cleaner
Cast Cleaner

Location: Deep underground, waiting for the return of Morgoth...
Did you draw the map?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:11 pm 
Mould Mason
Mould Mason

Thanks guys.... The map is the standard blank North America map that's available on Wikipedia... I just colored in the various sections in Paint Shop Pro....

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]