Change font size
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:12 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 16 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Companions adventure
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:33 am 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Yeah I'm really curious about the mechanics of this. Sounds awesome.

Love the scenes though... I'm such a BAMF ;D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:27 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Location: New Castle, PA and From wherever he darn well pleases.
Originally the idea was to have a game that was playable by being cheap, simple, and cheat proof. You have your deck of cards minus the jokers. I had the members in this game each draw 20 cards and write them down. I have 2 deck, so one was the "players" and one was the "enemies". I drew the top card to see which side went first. Here is where the "cheat proof" part comes in. Normally, the higher card wins, but that just won't work, because everyone could say they had a King. In this case I chose a number that someone had to be close enough to for a hit and drew the "enemy" card to see the difference. The cards wrap around so that a "3" is only 5 away from a Jack for example. A,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,J,Q,K,A,2,3,4,5,6,7...... hope that helps explain that. So for example when Gevallen hit the Rhino Beetle, the result was something like I needed to be within 3 and Gevallen's card was a 10 of Hearts. The enemies card was a 10 of Clubs. So not only did he hit, but he had the exact same amount. I then drew a card to see what the damage was and doubled it because it was the same value. Using dice, this would be a critical hit. It was enough to kill the Rhino Beetle. With Alatrix's decapitation on the Rhino Beetle, the card was an exact match, an Ace of Spades. So I just made it an instant kill. For each round, I kept the attack order the same, but used 2 drawn cards to determine the range you needed for it to be a hit. Once there was a hit, I drew a card to see how much damage and kept track on a piece of paper.

In this adventure, Gevallen killed his opponent on the first hit. Gareth hit Rhino Beetle 2 for 6 damage. Reijin and Alatrix missed on the first try. Rhino Beetle missed Gareth and Rhino Beetle 3 hit Rejin for 4 damage. Round 2 saw Gevallen miss, Gareth hit for enough damage to barely kill Rhino Beetle 2 and Reijin and Alatrix miss again. Rhino Beetle 3 missed again. Round 3 was when Alatrix had the instant kill.

I simplified if even more so I could have results for this adventure. I do have the beginnings of a game using cards that involve more detail and stuff. It involves using the 4 suits (Hearts, Spades, Diamonds, Clubs) as abilities (Strength, Intelligence, Dexterity, Luck). and also similar saving throws (Reflex, Will Fortitude, Other). I hope that explains the most part of it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:40 pm 
Hammer Ace
Hammer Ace

This is awesome! I totally remember this, and love it too! I drew some dang bad cards though.... lol. :9

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:16 pm 
Grind Guru
Grind Guru

Ok I think I get it now. The whole suits thing as different stats sounds interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:41 pm 
Crucible King
Crucible King

The Slayer Of Light wrote:
This is awesome! I totally remember this, and love it too! I drew some dang bad cards though.... lol. :9

...You just have an insane weakness to beetles that are bigger then you :9

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:02 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Location: New Castle, PA and From wherever he darn well pleases.
Quote:

One thing that made this game less appealing is that it relies on luck rather than strategy because I had to make it a way that players couldn't or wouldn't be tempted to cheat. Playing in real time or in person would open up more options, but there was no way to do this. Basically what I did was take the mechanics of a deck of cards and see how they could work with the limitations I set. I also used inspiration from a card based game called Marvel Super Heroes Adventure Game, that came out in the late 90's.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 16 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2