Change font size
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:29 pm

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 9 of 100   [ 993 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 100  Next
 Post subject: Re: Meaningless Thread Fifty Three-peat!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:57 am 
Hammer Ace
Hammer Ace

@Hikaro: One of the worst things about it is that he was my nicest uncle. While we were in McCall we sat and talked about science for three hours. That was just yesterday. He has bad depression problems so we've been trying to help him out. He's been living with us, we always take him on vacation with us, and we've always had a good time with each other. He was just drinking too heavily, and it got the better of him. I will still never forgive him for hurting my parents right in front of my little brother. He also disowned my mother, who has been trying to help him turn his life around, but he's completely ungrateful and refuses to take any responsibility for his actions. My moms been crying all day, not because he attacked her and my dad, but because he made it clear he never wants to talk to her again. It cheered me up a little after things had settled down, and both my parents said they proud of me for taking a stand to protect them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:51 pm 
Mould Mason
Mould Mason

macleodman2 wrote:
@Hikaro: One of the worst things about it is that he was my nicest uncle. While we were in McCall we sat and talked about science for three hours. That was just yesterday. He has bad depression problems so we've been trying to help him out. He's been living with us, we always take him on vacation with us, and we've always had a good time with each other. He was just drinking too heavily, and it got the better of him. I will still never forgive him for hurting my parents right in front of my little brother. He also disowned my mother, who has been trying to help him turn his life around, but he's completely ungrateful and refuses to take any responsibility for his actions. My moms been crying all day, not because he attacked her and my dad, but because he made it clear he never wants to talk to her again. It cheered me up a little after things had settled down, and both my parents said they proud of me for taking a stand to protect them.

In my experience, depression or alcoholism alone (although they tend to go hand-in-hand) can easily take a good man down the road of destruction, and coupled with a heavy case of denial and refusal to even recognize that there's a problem in the first place are just the icing on the cake. During my time in the Navy (especially with the ships I was stationed on), I've seen this kind of thing happen too many times: A guy might be a ship-shape sailor when sober, but come a payday weekend after blowing a substantial part of his paycheck on booze, and he'll be starting a barroom brawl that spreads to three different establishments... (and since I got stuck on Shore Patrol duty often enough, it's entirely likely I would be one of the guys trying to break it up before too many people got hurt or too much property damage occurred).

Still, your parents are darn right to be proud of you: I'm a war veteran, who (due to my job being combat related) was also trained in physical security (a.k.a. armed guard), and even I would have been shaken up pretty bad by something like that. You also handled the situation about as well as anyone could, training or no, so Bravo Zulu, I mean it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:45 pm 
Hammer Ace
Hammer Ace

So Aloe Vera is an alchemy ingredient in Oblivion, but it doesn't have a Resist Fire effect. What the hell. Aloe Vera's most famous application is treatment for minor burns. Although I guess it does have Restore Health.

Edit: Now the irreplaceable bike that my dad gave me has been stolen. He'd already had that bike for 30 years. It was one of the last big name bikes that was hand assembled in the U.S.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:15 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Location: New Castle, PA and From wherever he darn well pleases.
@ Mac - Sorry you had to go through that crap. Yesterday marked the 18th anniversary of the death of my uncle that I was close to. He died unexpectedly in the hospital from an undetected heart condition. Like you, he lived with us for a short time and us with him. He had a bad history of having alcohol related problems, but never to that extent. He was on the verge of turning his life around and was living with a woman that we had all known for years. It sucks because I'd have loved for him to have met my wife and he was my dad's best friend. He was also a war vet that received a purple heart.

My Walmart saga is about to end. I gave my 2 weeks notice today and finalized the details in my return to the news paper as the main fork lift driver. More money, less hours (depending on what Walmart was going to keep me at). More comfortable and confident work environment. Better everything overall.

Been painting up some parts for my super heroes and villains, so that is still going on. Slow but steady progress. MC has seen a few torso designs I have planned and I'm pretty proud of them. Have a save 4th everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:38 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

@QBlade: hope the job changes settle out and you can get back to a 'normal life' ...
And, can't wait to see some of your Super's finished.

My son Wes starts a job tomorrow ... 4 hours from here, so he emptied his room today ... *sniff*
I'm going to spend my 4th moving my 'creativity things' to that room; its smaller and will free up the 'guest room' ... which in turn will allow me to keep my things out when we have company!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:05 pm 
Hammer Ace
Hammer Ace

Well. I got my bike. Locked it up in the house.

If anyone here likes Minecraft and space you should check out a game called StarMade. It's free at the moment. It's basically Minecraft, but you build space ships and fly around. I don't mean you build some crummy little ship either. You can build a house and fly it around. If you had the time and patience you could make a full scale replica of Milenium Falcon and fly it around. It's like the older games where you flew around and traded goods while fighting pirates and enemy factions, except you have complete creative control over you ship.

Edit: Wow. Every time one of our birds die, through random circumstances with end up with replacements. Four of chicks hatched just over 24 hours after this last chicken died, and then last night we find a Ring Neck Dove dying of thirst in our greenhouse which we are now nursing back to health.

Judging by our family's recent luck, and going to go ahead and guess that my dad will be dead withing the next three years. He can't go a month without being sick, he's a smoker, his entire family has a history of heart disease and cancer, and none of his relatives have made it past 65 in the last two generations, except for my uncle. He also refuses to ever see doctors, despite the fact that our family doctor is one of the most well respected in the state, as well as a family friend.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:03 pm 
Cast Cleaner
Cast Cleaner

Just a quick wave hello and happy 4th while visiting here at my daughters. Still alive!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:46 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Arcanamachi wrote:
Just a quick wave hello and happy 4th while visiting here at my daughters. Still alive!

Hope all is going well!!

@Mac: hmm, the same sounds cool
also, nice on the birds n such
Your dad, some people would just rather let things 'be' ... sounds like he might be one of those.

Rooms: well, I've spent my day switching two 1/2 rooms out. I don't have the same amount of shelving so some of my builds will finally be put to rest and pieces added to the piles; but, I'm pretty happy with the turn around in both rooms. One will be a better guest room for when my kids visit (once a year if we're lucky), and the other I can leave me things out now ... it will be awesome ...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:48 am 
Hammer Ace
Hammer Ace

Good Lord. There is something wrong with me. Watching one of the most soul wrenchingly depressing shows I have ever seen snapped me out of my own depression.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:00 am 
Mould Mason
Mould Mason

Arcanamachi! Nice to see you pop in! I trust you had a pleasant Fourth? I spent the first half of the day tidying up the house (with my wife) and mowing the lawn, and the last half of it with my wife's family: This isn't the first time her parents came down to our house, but this was the first time here brother and sister and their respective girlfriend and boyfriend came.

Also, that one mystery plants that I believe I mentioned about finally bloomed. They ARE, in fact, a type of Calla Lilly, a plant that SHOULD, according to most garden literature NOT be able to survive even ONE winter outdoors around here, but these two plants have, somehow. Maybe I got some kind of mutant variety that has increased hardiness (they can survive temps about 5 - 10 degrees warmer than our average winter low, so it's not entirely out of the question that there could be some mutant variety that popped up over the years that is 5 -10 degrees hardier without anybody finding out)...

Anyways, since I have off work today, but my wife does not, I'm going to take a trip to Baltimore's Inner Harbor and visit all the museum ships, something I've been meaning to do for a while, but my wife things is boring... I'll probably swing by the Arundel Mills LEGO store and pick up some series 10 minifigs in the vain hope I can finally get some Sea Captains, Medusae and such... I know I won't have any trouble finding Amazons or Colonial Soldiers since those were in about every fourth pack I felt.

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 9 of 100   [ 993 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 100  Next