Change font size
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:33 pm

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 91 of 100   [ 993 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 ... 100  Next
 Post subject: Re: Meaningless Thread Fifty Three-peat!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:59 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

@Hikaro: can't wait to see it!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:33 pm 
Mould Mason
Mould Mason

Well, wait no more:

LSS Rio Grande (WIP) by Hikaro Takayama, on Flickr

I still need the flags to arrive, and to Brick Link at least 3 more of the 2013 Coast Guard sailors before I can consider this sucker finished....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:22 am 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Very Nice!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:25 am 
Hammer Ace
Hammer Ace

@Hikaro: Ha. Just noticed your signature. I'm actually watching a Honey Badger documentary on PBS right now.

Edit: Noooooo! Harold Ramis is dead! That really sucks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:15 pm 
Crucible King
Crucible King

Hello everybody! :D I'm BACK TO LEGO! YAY! *rubs hands* I have two MOCs ready for posting with fairly decent pictures, I just need to photoshop them to look a little clearer and eliminate that darned shine. I've splurged lately on LEGO, buying a TON of sets. I got the Police Chopper, Fire Car, RV, Octan Racing Semi, Cargo Semi, Lone Ranger Mine, Avengers Jet Battle, Daily Bugle, Batman vs Penguin, and it goes on and on. :|~ I have modified the Lone Ranger train and given it a bigger track, which is now too big for the table. :9 My collection is growing every week.

@Hikaro: Awesome, man! I like the use of the cell door as a satellite dish; I haven't seen that before in memory. The sonar is clever, too; I've never found a use for that piece.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:01 pm 
Mould Mason
Mould Mason

Nice to see you back, Napo... Place wasn't the same without you. BTW, the lattice antenna is supposed to be a Fire Control radar, not a satcom uplink. Also, what are you referring to as the sonar, because I don't have any visible sonar (aside from the greebling under the forward missile launchers, which is supposed to be Magnetic Anomaly Detectors, which are used to find subs by detecting their magnetic signature)....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:05 pm 
Crucible King
Crucible King

Hikaro Takayama wrote:
Nice to see you back, Napo... Place wasn't the same without you. BTW, the lattice antenna is supposed to be a Fire Control radar, not a satcom uplink. Also, what are you referring to as the sonar, because I don't have any visible sonar (aside from the greebling under the forward missile launchers, which is supposed to be Magnetic Anomaly Detectors, which are used to find subs by detecting their magnetic signature)....

Thanks, Hikaro! Nice to see from you again, too

I don't think I'd do very well as a sailor, then. :9

"It's on fire, sir!"

"What, sailor?!"

"That.. spinny thingy! The metal revolving doodad! Thing! It's on fire! Abandon ship!"

;9

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:03 am 
Mould Mason
Mould Mason

Well, don't feel too bad... The navy is pretty screwy compared to most of the rest of the military (with only the air force being on a comparable level of screwiness): A lot of the terminology still used in the US Navy dates back to the Golden Age of Piracy, and for an even funner fact, several core US Navy regulations come directly from the Pirates' Code. One example of this is that US navy sailors are probably the only Americans (other than maritime history buffs) who actually know what "avast" means....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:52 am 
Crucible King
Crucible King

@Hikaro: That's awesome about the Pirate's Code! I had never heard that, and I'm a buff at weird historical trivia.

So, guys, I'm about to start the LEGO project of my dreams. I'm building a town. :|~ I have enough bricks to pull it off, I think. I need to buy a police station set and some fire sets, but other than that, I think I can pull it off. I have my table covered in baseplates, and I'll probably kick off construction tomorrow with hopefully a few small houses or apartments and a town hall. I'll have to use black plates for streets for now, as I don't have any road baseplates. :\

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:38 am 
Grind Guru
Grind Guru

Napoleon wrote:
@Hikaro: That's awesome about the Pirate's Code! I had never heard that, and I'm a buff at weird historical trivia.

So, guys, I'm about to start the LEGO project of my dreams. I'm building a town. :|~ I have enough bricks to pull it off, I think. I need to buy a police station set and some fire sets, but other than that, I think I can pull it off. I have my table covered in baseplates, and I'll probably kick off construction tomorrow with hopefully a few small houses or apartments and a town hall. I'll have to use black plates for streets for now, as I don't have any road baseplates. :\

A piece of advise from someone who has built large, table spanning, LEGO creations: make sure to build it somewhat modular. You may not think about it now, but at some point you are probably going to need/want to move it or change something and it's very difficult if every baseplate is connected to the next by multiple buildings/structures.

Also, as the old Ork saying goes: Never enough! Enough's more than ya got, and less than too much. And you can never have too much.

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 91 of 100   [ 993 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 ... 100  Next