Change font size
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:39 am

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 94 of 100   [ 992 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 100  Next
 Post subject: Re: Meaningless Thread 52: Title under construction
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:53 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

The original Norse dwarves were ugly, misshapen folk who were also master craftsmen. They were always associated with smithing, mining, crafting and were generally said to live underground or inside mountains. Mischevious forest folk is, as I understand, more of an elf thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:48 am 
Mould Mason
Mould Mason

Shadow Viking wrote:
The original Norse dwarves were ugly, misshapen folk who were also master craftsmen. They were always associated with smithing, mining, crafting and were generally said to live underground or inside mountains. Mischevious forest folk is, as I understand, more of an elf thing.

Actually, if you were to look in some old German folk tales, particularly from Bavaria and the Black Forest region, that role was taken by Gnomes, which could easily be mistaken for dwarves by some people.

Anyways, I decided to take Friday off from work to kind of get out of the funk I've been in lately, and managed to get some stuff done. I got some of our boxes unpacked and went over to my parents' house to get some of the remaining stuff left over there.

Also I've went back to work on my Destroyer and have the main structural bits done... I still need to add more detail stuff (like where some of the missile launchers are going and what they will look like as well as FLAK mounts and various Heavy MG mounts).

One of the things I've been doing to save time is storing all my "possibly useful" parts in the Kre-O battleship box instead of sorting everything out by color and returning it to the proper container (I have all my bricks sorted by color), and I do not particularly look forward to sorting everything when I finally DO get this project finished.....

I'll try to post another WIP pic tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:27 am 
Hammer Ace
Hammer Ace

macleodman2 wrote:
Edit: I realize this is very old news, but is anyone else upset that Bethesda not doing anymore Skyrim DLC?

Yes I am. Personally I just don't feel like they stayed with Skyrim for very long. Though, I guess they did, 2 years.

Quote:
(largely thanks to Sheogorath)

That's the real reason everyone's unsatisfied, no Sheogorath.

Shadow Viking wrote:

So really, with the exception of being ugly and misshapen, they haven't changed much, have they? And really, it seems to be up to the artist depicting them as to whether or not they're ugly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:57 am 
Bellow Boss
Bellow Boss

@Mac - What's the name of the series? If I can find it in German I'll read it and see if it's any better in its original language.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:10 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Hikaro Takayama wrote:
Shadow Viking wrote:

Actually, if you were to look in some old German folk tales, particularly from Bavaria and the Black Forest region, that role was taken by Gnomes, which could easily be mistaken for dwarves by some people.

From what I understand, Dwarves are older... Gnomes being Renaissance critters. If there are tales older than that referring to gnomes acting dwarfishly, I'd suspect a more flamboyant (mis)translation. But that's not really my field...

sentinal133 wrote:

Shadow Viking wrote:

So really, with the exception of being ugly and misshapen, they haven't changed much, have they? And really, it seems to be up to the artist depicting them as to whether or not they're ugly.

Basically yeah.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:02 pm 
Hammer Ace
Hammer Ace

@hawkxs: The first book is called The Dwarves and the second one is The War of the Dwarves. I don't remember the name of the third book. It wasn't out when I read the first two. I almost bought it at the bookstore in Portland because I happened across it, but it was $30 for a new paper back and there were no used copies. I still recommend them to anyone who likes fantasy books, especially dwarves. The Dark Elves were also really cool. They take D&D always evil Dark Elves and make them paint on flesh canvas with blood in varying states of coagulation to create beautiful red landscapes. Literally. They also build their houses from nothing but the bones of their enemies. Djerun was cool. He was a giant armored demi-god son of the god of storms or some such. Generic, but he was just so good at killing things I couldn't help but like him. All the dwarves are cool, and they address the female dwarf question quite nicely. According to this author, yes, female dwarves do have beards. It's just very wispy and soft.

Edit: Oh yeah. Author is Markus Heitz.

I think I might spend a little to much time laughing to myself manically.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:25 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

SMarine: hope things turn out for the best ...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:29 pm 
Hammer Ace
Hammer Ace

macleodman2 wrote:
I think I might spend a little to much time laughing to myself manically.

There can never be too much time spent laughing maniacally.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:54 pm 
Hammer Ace
Hammer Ace

Weird. We're right in the middle of a lightning storm and my internet is working fine. I guess it's not raining.

Edit: I never used to understand why people hated Oblivion's lock picking system. I was always really good at it. Then I started playing on PC, and good god is it bad. I feel like the designed the game for the PC and the controls for console. Still really good at it though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:30 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Woot

:o)

Hoping to reset up my "creativity room" on my next day off ... I can hardly wait!

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 94 of 100   [ 992 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 100  Next