Change font size
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:03 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 11 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: What would you like to see from TLG?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:49 pm 
Furnace Scrub
Furnace Scrub

What themes would you like to see expanded? What do you not like? How could LEGO do things different to make you more happy?

I am not enamored with the vehicle-centric attitude LEGO has taken, and that every stinkin' set comes with minifigs. Call it a rant; but I don't need more figs. I need more brick. I would love to be able to go to my local department store and buy enough tan, brick red, grey, and similar bricks to make a decent building.

As for themes, I really liked Alien Conquest. I'm disappointed to see it going away so soon. I hope that LEGO comes out with a new Space theme soon, because I am already Jonesing. I really don't care for licensed themes, mostly because peachy figs bug me.

Sorry to get off on a tear this evening. I just wanted to vent a bit. ;)

Post subject: Re: What would you like to see from TLG?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:53 pm 
Hammer Ace
Hammer Ace

I wish themes didn't go away so quickly.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:20 pm 
Furnace Scrub
Furnace Scrub

Yeah, because it takes me a while to get all of the sets I want. Then they're gone. :(

OH, and I wish LEGO didn't outsource so many of their figs to China. I have had quite a few torsos split at their side seams with no more play than posing them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:21 am 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Themes: Me too, though I understand the need to change out often ... to keep those who always want something new coming back.

Out sourced: yeah, but again ... keeping the costs lower gives us more colors and options I suppose.

I'd like more vegetation options, being that building dioramas is one of my most fav things.
I am glad to see that they've finally started to invest in the minfigs and in micro building.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:43 am 
Furnace Scrub
Furnace Scrub

Keeping the prices down? That's not what I am seeing. TLG is still charging a premium price. If they're going to continue to charge a premium price they need to continue to offer a premium product, not minifigs with split torsos (got another one today that has done nothing more than some posing).

I am going to mail the broken minifigs back to TLG, just to complain. What I should do is send them postage due. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:03 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Location: New Castle, PA and From wherever he darn well pleases.
What I'd like to see is TLG revive some of the older Castle and Space themes with a new twist. I'd love a revive of the Forestmen and Black Falcons, along with some more classic space ideas.

I'm not a fan of licensed themes, some of those licenses brought LEGO out of the red and back into the spot light. Star Wars and Harry Potter were necessary, and I love that they are doing super heroes. I'm still not thrilled about the decision to make them flesh colored. One thing I wish they'd do is use these licenses to jump start their own themes, like using the PotC to get LEGO Pirates back up to speed. They had the chance with Pharaoh's Quest and Indiana Jones, but missed the boat. It'd be nice to have an in house Super Hero theme complete with some type of gaming cards and instructions. I also want a revival of the Wild West Theme. I'd like to see Heroica made into an actual theme once the LotR and Hobbit themes are done.

The biggest thing I wish they'd do is quit acting like LEGO is a toy for kids and then charging adult prices. This could be said for any toy I suppose. I know our foreign friends think we are crazy for complaining about the prices when we get them cheaper than they do, but I stand by my rant.

I do miss the old days when it seemed like some themes lasted longer than 2 or 3 years.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:06 am 
Grind Guru
Grind Guru

Quickblade wrote:
What I'd like to see is TLG revive some of the older Castle and Space themes with a new twist. I'd love a revive of the Forestmen and Black Falcons, along with some more classic space ideas.

I'm not a fan of licensed themes, some of those licenses brought LEGO out of the red and back into the spot light. Star Wars and Harry Potter were necessary, and I love that they are doing super heroes. I'm still not thrilled about the decision to make them flesh colored. One thing I wish they'd do is use these licenses to jump start their own themes, like using the PotC to get LEGO Pirates back up to speed. They had the chance with Pharaoh's Quest and Indiana Jones, but missed the boat. It'd be nice to have an in house Super Hero theme complete with some type of gaming cards and instructions. I also want a revival of the Wild West Theme. I'd like to see Heroica made into an actual theme once the LotR and Hobbit themes are done.

The biggest thing I wish they'd do is quit acting like LEGO is a toy for kids and then charging adult prices. This could be said for any toy I suppose. I know our foreign friends think we are crazy for complaining about the prices when we get them cheaper than they do, but I stand by my rant.

I do miss the old days when it seemed like some themes lasted longer than 2 or 3 years.

This is probably the best way I've heard this viewpoint put without being a rant, and I totally agree.

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good-Rom12:21

I'm just trying to love God, people, and life. We're all people, what else matters?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:44 am 
Furnace Scrub
Furnace Scrub

I think that TLG is doing as its focus groups are directing. Children with short attention spans want never-ending variety. They want a minifig and a vehicle in every set. Consider the Monster Hunters theme. Sets 9463, 9465, 9466, would be better without vehicles, or if they were just vehicles, in my opinion. Instead we get two half-assed attempts in one box. Better to do one or the other, and do it well; but that's the more adult perspective. I think that TLG could do some pretty good sets at the same price points if they didn't try to divide their attention.

I'm all for bringing back classic themes, too (which didn't have this problem).

The Friends theme actually seems better for this. I think Olivia's House might be my next purchase, for the tan brick and roof pieces.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:49 pm 
Bucket Boy
Bucket Boy

More licensed sets and figures would be very cool, mind TLG has the market covered on Star Wars, all eras, but how did Star Trek never end up being considered ?

Mind many Lego builders and collectors are also gamers-miniature players so a few 'classic' RPG-themed sets would be very welcome.

The one that comes to mind most would be Steve Jackson's Car Wars, as is Lego has suitable small scale cars and trucks already in production so no major R&D costs there adapting such.

Simple enough matter too having existing road-street plates work for that game system, other support elements (such as buildings, 'roadside' scenery, etc) also readily made from existing sets and parts.

If TLG negotiated with Lucasfilms for SW, then Steve Jackson Games should not be a difficulty.

Attachments:
car wars delux.jpg
car wars delux.jpg [ 148.39 KiB | Viewed 2180 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:25 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Location: New Castle, PA and From wherever he darn well pleases.
Star Wars has a much larger fan base for the main audience. The appeal is there more because of the video games and cartoons associated with the license. Star Trek, while holding a place in the hearts of many AFOL's, just doesn't have that type of appeal to the younger fans. If I'm going to make money off of a franchise, I'm going with the one that has a much better chance at large profit.

There is something small I want to see LEGO make that I believe will eventually come.
Combine this:

with this:

Think of all the angles you could make creations for structures, vehicles, and especially trees.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 11 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next