It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:42 pm

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 192 of 200   [ 1992 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195 ... 200  Next
 Post subject: Re: 49th Meaningless Threads of War
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:50 am 
Crucible King
Crucible King

macleodman2 wrote:
Wow. History is branching off. I would much rather have documentary about the Viking Age. Four parts probably. Each part dedicated to major events that happened in that particular part of the age.

History Channel's been showing nothing but "man-centric" reality shows for years that have nothing to do with history. This is a miracle! :D I wished they would make their own historical dramas about six years ago. Hatfields and McCoys is amazing; they're already saying Costner's getting an Emmy for playing Devil Anse. Plus, why would you prefer a documentary over a multi-season TV show? Docs don't do well in ratings, dramas do. Compare History's Knights Templar doc with HBO's Tudors. It's laughable.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:05 am 
Hammer Ace
Hammer Ace

Napoleon wrote:
History Channel's been showing nothing but "man-centric" reality shows for years that have nothing to do with history. This is a miracle! :D I wished they would make their own historical dramas about six years ago. Hatfields and McCoys is amazing; they're already saying Costner's getting an Emmy for playing Devil Anse. Plus, why would you prefer a documentary over a multi-season TV show? Docs don't do well in ratings, dramas do. Compare History's Knights Templar doc with HBO's Tudors. It's laughable.

Because documenteries are, usualy, far more interesting and almost always more educational. But, hey, whatever it takes people to learn I geuss.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:21 am 
Crucible King
Crucible King

I agree you'll learn more, but compare PBS's Civil War doc to the Jeff Shaara movies. The movies win hands down. :D That PBS series really let me down in the awesome department.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:44 am 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Made it back home. The visit was great!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:29 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

solution: dramatic documentaries, for instance bbc4's 1066: The Battle for Middle-Earth, about the Norman Conquest of Anglo-Saxon England (and the viking invasion days before). It has narration and education but is for all intents and purposes a film. Quite accurate too aside from a few quibbles, most of which seem to have been done to grab LOTR fans (the use Middle-Earth is legit, though. Tolkien used a lot of Anglo-Saxon and Norse language pieces)

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:54 pm 
Hammer Ace
Hammer Ace

Documentaries are far more interesting. With films you're going to have to sit through a bunch of character development before you get to interesting parts, and if it skips character development then the film isn't worth my time. Why I'm watching something like the history channel I want straight forward information. If they were to create a theatrically released highly accurate my I would love to see that. In my head history channel is for documentaries, not reality shows and dramas.

Edit: I just realized something. Women protagonists in movies always seem to drive motor cycles. I always figure this was so the helmet would hide their identity/fact that they area a woman, but that it entirely wrong. It's so the women can spend the majority of the film in a full skin tight leather suit. Hollywood knows what they're doing, and it's genius.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:11 pm 
Smelt Sire
Smelt Sire

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/2fbed5 ... ked-accent

Not easy being from Massachusetts.

-Omi

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:24 pm 
Slag Fetcher
Slag Fetcher

Hey, I'm back, if anyone remembers me...
I started to clean my room this week for the first time in a long while. How long, you ask? Well, I've found artwork from preschool. In 2000. I've almost filled a box that's about 9 cubic feet with recycling just from my closet and under my bed. Still to go: dresser, bookcase, shelving/storage unit, bed, and nightstand. Hopefully I'll soon have a photography space for my minifigs and MOCs.

Anyways, as far as documentaries vs. movies go, I think that the purpose of a film is what most affects its interesting-ness. Documentaries, I believe, are usually made to inform, whereas movies are made to entertain and make money. Documentaries, therefore, are more interesting to a smaller set of viewers, while movies are made to appeal to larger groups. That's what I think, anyway. Wow, long post.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:11 am 
Crucible King
Crucible King

Sure I remember you! Your name confuzzled me for days before I saw it had two l's. ;9

My room's pretty dingy at the moment. :9

@SV: That BBC special sounds interesting. Don't get me wrong, I'm a documentary fan, too, when they're done right and proper.

@Mac: I see what you mean, but with Hats' & 'Coys, I think it works, since the history IS about the character development. Speaking of girls, a girl today complimented my appearance. ;D I have a new belt that has Civil War printing, and she went on about how neat it was. Yes, I'm very vain. I'm like Johnse in Hatfields & McCoys. :9

I also have new leather trifold "motorcycle wallet" with a big chain on it. I love motorcycle stuff. It's also a punk weapon; it's heavy-duty chain and I added a custom "mourning star" to the end. (:] I tested it, and clobbered myself while doing so. It'd break jaw and your teeth, no time flat.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:58 am 
Slag Fetcher
Slag Fetcher

Napoleon wrote:
It's heavy-duty chain and I added a custom "mourning star" to the end. (:] I tested it, and clobbered myself while doing so. It'd break jaw and your teeth, no time flat.

Ouch. That sounds like it would hurt.

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 192 of 200   [ 1992 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195 ... 200  Next