Hammer Ace

macleodman2 wrote:
Q tips.

Figured as much, thanks.

Post subject: Re: Omi Presents: The Tale of 48 Threads - A Meaningless Sto
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:59 pm 
Hammer Ace
Hammer Ace

Heres the thing that gets me. Every year the State of Idaho makes cuts to education, and every school has to cut a few days off the school year. If I were them, I would use those days to extend either Christmas break so that there wouldn't be a one or two day school week because that's pointless. But no, they give us some random day off instead.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:49 pm 
Hammer Ace
Hammer Ace

macleodman2 wrote:
Heres the thing that gets me. Every year the State of Idaho makes cuts to education, and every school has to cut a few days off the school year. If I were them, I would use those days to extend either Christmas break so that there wouldn't be a one or two day school week because that's pointless. But no, they give us some random day off instead.

Using the days to extend pre-existing breaks would make too much sense for them to do that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:10 pm 
Smelt Sire
Smelt Sire

sentinal133 wrote:
macleodman2 wrote:

Using the days to extend pre-existing breaks would make too much sense for them to do that.

But then you lose days of summer break.

Every day counts.

-Omi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:40 pm 
Hammer Ace
Hammer Ace

I don't understand how it shortens summer break. They don't add the days off to summer break. They sprinkle them throughout the year. At my old school they made summer break one day shorter every year anyway. They said it was because our summer break started earlier than other schools which was a lie.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:00 pm 
Smelt Sire
Smelt Sire

Each state mandates how many school days there are in a year, but each state has at least 180. Schools cannot have any less than what is mandated. If there is (snow days, power outage, etc), they take a day off summer break (realistically extend into it) to make up for it. There have been times when I got out in late June when I was supposed to be out in early June/late May due to snow days and pipes freezing at my school.

-Omi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:23 pm 
Hammer Ace
Hammer Ace

I would rather have summer break be two days shorter than go to school for one day then have the weekend. If I've just had a long break and then go to school for one day that doesn't allow me to get used to being back at school. All it does is disrupt my fun for no purpose.

Really think that schools should get rid of summer break. We go to school for nine months non-stop and then get a 3 month break. I rather go to school 3 months at a time, with a 1 month break every 3 months. It's the 5 day week, almost nonstop for nine whole months that drives me crazy at school. Every other activity on Earth requires you to pace yourself, so why doesn't school? If I exercise for too long (like that would happen) without taking a break it's not good for me. If I go to school for to long without a good break (weekends are to short to be a good break) it drives me nuts. Plus we just forget everything if we have a full 3 months off. If we had once month breaks we wouldn't forget nearly as much stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:48 pm 
Hammer Ace
Hammer Ace

macleodman2 wrote:
Really think that schools should get rid of summer break. We go to school for nine months non-stop and then get a 3 month break. I rather go to school 3 months at a time, with a 1 month break every 3 months. It's the 5 day week, almost nonstop for nine whole months that drives me crazy at school. Every other activity on Earth requires you to pace yourself, so why doesn't school? If I exercise for too long (like that would happen) without taking a break it's not good for me. If I go to school for to long without a good break (weekends are to short to be a good break) it drives me nuts. Plus we just forget everything if we have a full 3 months off. If we had once month breaks we wouldn't forget nearly as much stuff.

I think you just hit the nail on the head.
edit: And I thibk that would also help keep a good schedule.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:50 pm 
Smelt Sire
Smelt Sire

The thing is with breaks, the longer you have them, the more you forget. Consistency is important. That's why they don't do that.

-Omi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:06 pm 
Hammer Ace
Hammer Ace

Then why have a three month break in which you can forget nearly everything you learned over the last 9 months? The current school year model was developed ages ago when children were expected to help during the harvest season. That's pretty outdated in almost all of the country now.

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 51 of 200   [ 1994 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 200  Next