Change font size
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:11 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: LUG
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:35 am 
Furnace Scrub
Furnace Scrub

Is anyone here a member of their local LUG? IF you are what are some things you do together? And does anyone know of any in central ohio? According to the address listed on the website I live within 5 minutes of the forge perhaps Armothe is a member of one? I would love to see some of his stuff or just talk lego! 8B

Post subject: Re: LUG
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:41 pm 
Grind Guru
Grind Guru

Depending on where in "central" Ohio you are there are two that I know of that may be close to you. One is the Central Ohio LEGO Train Club. As far as I know they are not JUST train related but I wouldn't know from first hand experience. There is also the Ohio Kentucky Indiana LEGO Users Group that is more in the Cincinnati area and a fairly new LUG. Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:52 pm 
Mould Mason
Mould Mason

I'm in NW Ohio... and I dont think theres any up around here :(

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:56 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

THANK THE LORD! Another FOL near me! I am about 10-15 minutes from the forge! As for Central Ohio LUGs, there is the COLTC (Central Ohio LEGO Train club) Unfortunately as far as I know they do not have displays at any Conventions other than Model Train shows. And their meetings take place in Columbus, to far for me to drive at the moment. I applied for membership a while ago to see what it would cost (about $20). I have actually been considering starting a LUG in the Springfield area.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:11 pm 
Furnace Scrub
Furnace Scrub

That would be nice. I live just a few miles away from springfield!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:00 am 
Furnace Scrub
Furnace Scrub

Hi,

I am a member (actually President) of VicLUG which is my local LUG but sadly a half a continent away from you.

As for what we do here are a few of the things:

Displays: we show off our stuff @ local hobby shows including a train layout for the model railway show here in town and an annual display by a local museum that gives us a section of space for three months between New Years Day and the end of March.

Kid Build: we have several bins of mixed LEGO that we provide for use by local events like Beaver Scouts, and Gottacon, a local gaming convention where we also run a "VicWars" table (VicWars is what we call our version of BrickWars).

Drafts; We all buy the same set, usually on sale and then combine all the sets together. We then take turns taking one element (ie: all the 1x2 yellow brick, or all the 2x2 dark tan tiles, etc) until the whole bunch has been distributed. Great way to have some fun and get a bunch of pieces.

Dirty Brickster: usually at our Xmas party/meeting we do this "dirty" gift exchange with each putting in one LEGO "gift" of app. $20 value.

BrickCon: we arrange group travel to our nearest LEGO fan convention which for us is BrickCon every year in Seattle. We share a van and hotel room(s) to make it more reasonable.

Summer BBQ: just a social gathering in conjunction with a meeting in the summer.

LUGBulk: the super-secret program that allows LUGs to access large amounts of bulk elements for building collaborative displays.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. :)

YMMV

EDIT: You can see some of what we do in our Flickr Pool which I think you should be able to see.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]