Change font size
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:11 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 12 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: BrickForge Galaxies - Challenge 1
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:46 am 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Location: New Castle, PA and From wherever he darn well pleases.
Primary Challenge - Create your main character. This character will represent you in all future challenges. Let your imagination run wild. Are you a top ace pilot loyal to your sector, or perhaps a scientist that boldly takes risks to discover new things no matter the cost? Whatever the case may be, your main character may be whatever gender, race, or even robotic if you wish. Build or draw something so that others can see your character and don't forget to give some type of back story to go along.

Secondary Challenge A - Create a companion. This second character can be anything like a bodyguard, mentor, love interest, sidekick, etc. Same guidelines as above, and don't forget to tell about them.

Secondary Challenge B - Home World. This challenge seems like it could be covered in the primary challenge, but this is a chance to expand upon their background. Build or draw a scene about your main character's home world or star system. This is a chance to give some cool detail to help shape the galaxy. There are plenty of things to draw inspiration from.

Points will be given at the end of the month. Aug 31st is the deadline for being able to receive full participation points. More info of points to follow. When posting an entry, whether it is a Moc, fig, artwork, or story, make sure you label it with BrickForge Galaxies somewhere in the title or post.

Post subject: Re: BrickForge Galaxies - Challenge 1
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:07 am 
Grind Guru
Grind Guru

I have a few questions. 1. Can or should we create home worlds with other Faction members? 2. Can the Primary Challenge and both Secondary Challenges all be addressed in one post? 3. Should we post here, make our own threads, or will there be a separate thread for posting?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:36 am 
Crucible King
Crucible King

I wonder the same things as Mach. But, in the meantime, here is my character. I hope I made it detailed and long enough for you. :9 I even made a map and flag of his planet. I hope to get art up soon. One question: does said art have to look like LEGO, or can it be realistic but based on LEGO/BF parts?

Primary Character:

Name: Napolon Kelar

Home Planet: Oresh-Mador, Confederacy

Known For: Traditional slicked back Oresh-Madorian hairstyle, nervous habit of twitching his leg, has never ending streams of jokes, some good, some not, never curses, but constantly uses "replacements."

Background: Born on the Confederate planet of Oresh-Mador shortly before the end of the Second Oresh-Madorian Civil War, his parents Kaerlo and Letazia were both dead by the time he was two. He was sent to live with his uncle, Lovis Kelar, at his mansion near the planet capital. During the final year of conflict, everyone in his family except for himself and Lovis were killed. When the pro-Confederate government took power, he and Lovis sided with the new government. Bounties were out on several revolutionaries that were responsible for his family's deaths and he used his uncle's money to personally hunt them down and kill them. He discovered he was quite good at it and soon became a professional bounty hunter in service to the Confederacy.

Companion: Uncle Lovis takes care of Napolon's finances and arranges most business matters for him, but the two are usually millions of miles apart, with Napolon treading through seedy alleys in spaceports or traveling on his ship, the Letazia, while Lovis stays at his mansion on Oresh-Mador. However, Lovis has a special headset that enables him to communicate with his nephew (through Napolon's helmet) wherever he is. While, like most bounty hunters, Napolon usually works alone, he has partnered with Katha Mendlar usually to try to gain an advantage over their main competitors in the bounty hunting market: Allald Allar and Evell Hite. Katha is an infamous female bounty hunter whose charm and friendly personality hide the fact that she has laid waste to entire villages and cities.

Homeworld: Oresh-Mador went through a brutal 15 years of civil war as the local barons and dukes battled against the forces of the Confederacy. The planetary governor, Nald Bedar, is a classic stereotype of an Oresh-Madorian; his pompadour hairstyle, bombastic personality, and no-nonsense attitude have either won him good friends or hated enemies. His brother Sald is the Chief Executive of the Kattaare Gas Mining Corporation, which operates on the nearby sub-planet Kattaare, and that industry dominates Oresh-Madorian industry, with over 75% of citizens holding a job in some way related to it. One of the main reasons the Confederacy tries to bulk up its authority on Oresh-Mador is that Kattaare is one of the most oil and uranium-rich planets within the interplanetary borders of the Confederacy. Oresh-Mador does not really have polar icecaps, and a muggy climate dominates (Out-of-Character: think Florida during the summer). Most of the many cities have a decidedly chromed appearance to them, and the people drive hovercars painted in bright colors, usually with fins and stripes (Out-of-character: think of 1950's for the good areas of the planet, and 1940's film noir for the seedier areas). The men are usually tall, have a unique accent, and are known for their preference to wear pompadours and fedoras. The women are usually short, and, like the men, usually wear color-coded jumpsuits that make it easy to tell their place in society, such as red for oil miner, blue for transportation, orange for farming, etc. Most last names end with "-ar." The spaceports are some of the busiest in the system, with interplanetary and interspecies trade (and piracy) going on at all times. Oresh-Mador's moon, Kalor, has a strong military presence to monitor incoming space traffic. Oresh-Mador's influence stretches to the Kalor Asteroid Field, which none dare traverse.

(Oresh-Mador Flag; note the strong 1950's radiator cap styling)

Last edited by Napoleon on Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:30 am 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Good questions!

QBlade: do you want us to all post here, or would it be easier to tell the factions apart if we posted in faction threads?

My main character is ready to roll once I know the destination.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:24 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Let me try to address some of the questions. <Insert lame but legit excuse about it being late and me being tired> ;9

Quote:
1. Can or should we create home worlds with other Faction members? 2. Can the Primary Challenge and both Secondary Challenges all be addressed in one post? 3. Should we post here, make our own threads, or will there be a separate thread for posting?

1 - You can if you like, however, we tried to make it so that you could essentially make your own solar system and be able to name your star, planet, moon, etc. The member of a faction belong to a star sector, so you could have something completely different from your team members if you like.

2 - For this month yes. Napoleon's example/entry is an acceptable one.

3 - Hmmmm....I think it would be best if every member had their separate post so that comments could be made to a specific entry. Make sure you post them in the appropriate section (Scriptorium for story, Artisan's Gallery for minifigure, Mason's Den for Moc, etc.). This might change if we find it to be easier to do another way.

Quote:
One question: does said art have to look like LEGO, or can it be realistic but based on LEGO/BF parts?

I'm going to vote that the artwork can be realistic but based on LEGO/BF parts. Not everyone can draw a Lego style.

Excellent entries btw. Re-post your entry in a separate topic in the Scriptorium and I will edit this one. Easiest way to do it is hit edit, hi-light, copy, paste. That way you don't have to retype or add the links again. You probably already know that, but others may not.

Quote:
QBlade: do you want us to all post here, or would it be easier to tell the factions apart if we posted in faction threads?

Faction threads would be cool, but then peoples comments might get lost among the other entries. We'll have to keep an eye out to see if there is a better way to do this.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:36 pm 
Crucible King
Crucible King

Thanks, QB! I just created my character thread with copy/paste like you said.

Glad to know about the drawing; while I'm okay at drawing minifigs, I'm much, much better at drawing quasi-realistic.

By the way, guys: I'd be happy to make planet maps for you if you want. My map I made only took about 30 minutes to make, so it'd be easy and fun.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:41 pm 
Bellow Boss
Bellow Boss

I have multiple backstory like items [ie my char, the planet, other stuff] - can I ignore the no double post rules for the sake of better organization?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:43 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Excellent Napo. I just edited your entry. I added your title to the top in your faction's color. I think this will be a good way to tell which faction a person belongs to. Like this:

BF Galaxies Character: Napolon Kelar - Confederacy

Quote:
I have multiple backstory like items [ie my char, the planet, other stuff] - can I ignore the no double post rules for the sake of better organization?

Yes, I think it's acceptable.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:04 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Oh! Here is the first challenge thingy... I am 10 hours late... crap. Man, this weekend has been way too busy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:41 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Brickule wrote:
Oh! Here is the first challenge thingy... I am 10 hours late... crap. Man, this weekend has been way too busy.

I know the feeling

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 12 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next