Change font size
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:36 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 13 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: BrickForge Galaxies - Challenge 2
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:32 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Location: New Castle, PA and From wherever he darn well pleases.
Primary Challenge: Build a vehicle for your characters. Create a spaceship, star fighter, ect, for your character to explore the galaxy or their home planet. Moc may be any scale.

Secondary Challenge A: Introduce a third character. This character can be another friend, part of your crew, acquaintance, etc.

Secondary Challenge B: Create a 2nd vehicle. This vehicle may be a different scale of the primary vehicle, a smaller personal vehicle, a companion's vehicle, a spaceship or star fighter that represents your factions military, etc.

Free builds: Each member is allowed 2 free builds per month. Use this free build to introduce more characters, catch up on a previous challenge you missed, build something that doesn't fit any of the previous criteria. Primary Character Introduction will not count towards a free build and will be counted to it's fullest of points for any member new or old that wishes to participate.

Post subject: Re: BrickForge Galaxies - Challenge 2
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:52 am 
Grind Guru
Grind Guru

When I first saw this challenge my first thought was "Welp, I'm doomed." I'm not a vehicle/ship builder. I do scenes/vigs, buildings, and kit-bashing/customizing of figs. But! When I first signed up for BF Galaxies I said that I was looking forward to the challenge and the opportunity to step out of my comfort zone, build-wise. So after a day of agonizing over how on earth I was going to take part in the Primary challenge for this month, I decided that if I am going to step out of my comfort zone and build a vehicle/ship, I am going to build something I have always wanted to build.
Sunday afternoon before I had to get ready for work, I broke down some sets and started messing around and piecing things together. After about two hours, I had a decent half a minifig scale star fighter built but needed a part that I don't have and can not accept a substitute for. So I shelved the project until I get the part and eventually came to work.
While I've been at work I've come to the realization that while I am pretty happy with where it is going, will most likely use it at some point in the future of my Galaxies posts, and will more than likely have it finished by the end of the month, I just can't bring myself to post it this month. It has to wait until November. It only seems right.
So...looks like it is back to the drawing board for me with the Primary challenge. Lukily when I signed up for Galaxies I went into creative over-drive and came up with quite a few different characters and background info and such. The Secondary challenges and free builds are already taken care of for the most part, so I can focus on the Primary for as long as it takes.

Sorry for the wall of text. Just thought I would share my experience with the community here.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:37 am 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

This will be a 'big' challenge for me too!
It'll be good for us :o)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:44 am 
Grind Guru
Grind Guru

Hmmm, this'll be a hard one. Huzzah for challenges!

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good-Rom12:21

I'm just trying to love God, people, and life. We're all people, what else matters?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:45 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Hey everyone. No worries on the challenges. The net is full of inspiration and I'm sure some of you have instructions from various themes to help assist in this challenge. My ship is something I've had build for a while, but when I did it, I took an actual build from an existing set and then went about modifying it. I also included the "micro scale" option so that even if you have just a few pieces, you can try to come up with something.

In addition, I wanted to add that anyone is welcome to write stories about their characters or their adventures. The challenges are building towards a story in their progression. Since only the 3 team reps know the layout, don't worry if you hit an "event" we might cover. We'll take this into consideration and make sure that if you hit an event, we can count it when the time comes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:09 pm 
Grind Guru
Grind Guru

So, a question regarding the Primary, and to a lesser extent the second part of the Secondary, challenge: Can the vehicle(s) represent not any one specific vehicle but a series/model of vehicle commonly found on our planet or in the Galaxy?

minfigCharmed wrote:
It'll be good for us :o)
Agreed. As I said, it's part of why I signed up for this.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:58 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Quote:
So, a question regarding the Primary, and to a lesser extent the second part of the Secondary, challenge: Can the vehicle(s) represent not any one specific vehicle but a series/model of vehicle commonly found on our planet or in the Galaxy?

Yes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:58 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Well, I've 'planned' what I'm going to create; now hopefully I get time on the weekends to actually build them!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:05 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

I've had my ship built for a long time. Some of you may remember my Marauder I built like 2 years ago. I spent last night altering it a bit and think a BL order is needed to add a few special things.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:32 am 
Grind Guru
Grind Guru

I have finished my builds and have everything typed out for the Primary and Secondary challenges, and I have an idea or two still working for a free build, but I have come to a rather odd thought. Is there a prefered way to post our parts for Galaxies? Despite the fact that mine are all builds with a bit of story to expand it, I am personally tempted to just lump them all in the Scriptorium, pics and all, to make them easier to find as well as because that seems to be where Galaxies is taking place. Is this the best course of action or should I break things apart and put fig related posts in the Artisan Gallery, and builds in either the Mason's Den or Center Stage? Am I just over-thinking this?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 13 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next