Change font size
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:03 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 7 of 15   [ 145 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Khopesh97-Napoleon-Oreo-Hikaro alliance thread.
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:49 pm 
Crucible King
Crucible King

Nice! But Kaiser? Who's that? Nazi Germany had a "Fuhrer"(Leader).

I came up with a title: "The Outcast Chronicles."

What do you guys think?

We are on a ROLL! Let's keep it comin' guys!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:14 pm 
Mould Mason
Mould Mason

OK, here's a quick and dirty map... Blue = Freischteet Pensilfaani (Free State PA), red = Schuylkill County (Robertsons), and Gray = German control (I'm guessing that the Germans would be directly occupying Erie...)

The slashed lines indicate where Freischteet control isn't total/areas that are heavily raided by bandits, clans and other malefactors...

Oh, and your idea was pretty much what I had in mind for such a meeting...

A few more bits of trivia before I go to bed:

In the Freischteet areas (particularly the stable "core" areas), the main sources of energy are what we'd consider "Green"... I.e. Biomass-derived biogas (a.k.a. natural gas derived from organic garbage, human and animal waste, etc), Bio-diesel (which accounts for the prevalence of soybeans) for armored vehicles (tanks and tank destroyers), wood gas (derived from gasification of wood, paper or coal... burns like regular gasoline) & ethanol for military trucks (when gasoline is unavailable).

Due to the relative lack of petroleum and the use of said renewable sources, very few civilians own vehicles, but thanks to modifications and improvements made to pre-war railroads, nobody really NEEDs a car, since electric trains run on a regular schedule (electricity is provided by the previously mentioned solar panels, wind turbines and biogas)....

Essentially, the Freischteet is largely self-sufficient, except for certain mineral commodities, such as Iron Ore, however they are able to buy/trade for those using manufactured goods and/or agricultural products (the region is one of a relatively few places in the Northeast with this kind of industrial capacity)

Thanks to dredging the Susequehanna, York PA now has its own seaport in the form of Columbia-Wrightsville... One of the purposes of said seaport is for loading barges with radioactive soil scraped up from the eastern counties, which haul it out to the mid-Atlantic for disposal... This was how Lancaster County was reclaimed (although the area still has trouble with bandits). In addition, the radioactive soil disposal barges also serve a far more nefarious purpose (as far as the Nazis are concerned) as well..... ;D

Finally, a quick note about some of the more unusual fruit products: Trifoliate Orange is a HARDY member of the citrus family from Japan, Korea and China, which produces tennis-ball sized orange fruit. The fruit is extremely sour/bitter, but it can be used as a citrus stand-in for Marmalade recipies, Lemonade (just add plenty of sugar), orange peel teas and orange extract. I can definitely confirm this is plenty hardy in southern PA: I have three saplings in my back yard that have survived the past 4 winters with no problems, and there are numerous larger specimens planted at the Pittsburgh zoo.

Paw Paws are the only temperate member of the Custard Apple family, and are actually NATIVE to PA... 25 years ago they were somewhat rare where I live, but have since spread out and can be found growing along just about every creek and stream in the area. Paw paws bear fruits that taste (and somewhat look) like bananas, and can be used in just about any recipie that calls for bananas. Even though the fruit have a very short shelf-life, they take well to being frozen and can also be canned. The trees prefer light shade, so most Pawpaw plantations in the area also double as chestnut and/or Pecan orchards...

The reason these two have become important crops is because REAL oranges and bananas have become rare luxury items, due to expenses involved in shipping them into the region.... The Penn State University (relocated to Harrisburg) agricultural department has been experimenting with certain varieties of bananas that can be planted in the spring and bear fruit before October, when the frost would kill the top part of the plant and require the roots to be dug up, but have been unable to do so, thus far.

...and that's my infodump for now.

Last edited by Hikaro Takayama on Tue May 10, 2011 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:32 pm 
Crucible King
Crucible King

Woah, that was deep! And great! I like the location of Spruce County. I looked up Schuylkill County. Wow! I can't believe how many people came from and/or lived there. Muhammad Ali had his training camp there! :D

The stuff about the environment was interesting; adds depth to the story and shows how they live.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:56 am 
Hammer Ace
Hammer Ace

@Napo: Thanks! I edited the Fuhrer/Kaiser parts.

@Hikaro: Wow. You got some rich story ideas!

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:56 pm 
Crucible King
Crucible King

I've started work on the Jersey map. :D

I don't wanna hog the chapters, so I'll let one o' you guys write the next one. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:16 pm 
Mould Mason
Mould Mason

I'm going to try an post a quick chapter sometime tomorrow or tuesday... I just got back from Pittsburgh and am dead tired.

BTW, what's the status of Pittsburgh in this timeline... I'm working on an updated map and realized that hadn't been addressed.... If it wasn't nuked, it would be perfect to set up as something like Mos Eisely or New Vegas... I.e. Basically under mob control.

I'm also adding maps of the areas (in PA at least) affected by the fallout from the Philly and other nukes... In addition, I realized that I forgot to add a small section of the Western MD panhandle (part of Washington County between Cove Mountain and South Mountain) that the Freischteet controls, partially because it is easy to defend and also because holding the river crossing at Williamsport, MD gives them road and rail access to West Virginia...

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:08 pm 
Crucible King
Crucible King

That's an awesome idea for Pittsburgh! We should definitely use it. :D

I used to live in W. Virginia. It seemed pretty post-apoc already. |D

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:35 pm 
Mould Mason
Mould Mason

Napoleon wrote:
I used to live in W. Virginia. It seemed pretty post-apoc already. |D

:9
I can't wait to see the next chapter!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:57 am 
Hammer Ace
Hammer Ace

Yup! Wonder where Oreo has gotten to these days...

Well, my Russian character shall be entering this story soon. Just have to think about the chapter a little more.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:53 pm 
Smelt Sire
Smelt Sire

Oreo has almost completely lost interest. :9 Distractions, distractions.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 7 of 15   [ 145 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next