It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:22 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: The Land of Vendameria
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:20 pm 
Crucible King
Crucible King

Cross-posting from Castle World:

Well, long story short, I've always wanted to create something unique and not Tolkien-inspired. I have been plotting a story where it is kind of like a cross between Napoleonic and Medieval styles. I've been playing around with minifigures, trying to come up with a style I liked. Originally, I was just going to create my own story. But then I discovered Harry Turtledove's fantasy series "War Between the Provinces." It's an allegory of the American Civil War told in fantasy format, with characters like "King Avram," who is supposed to be Lincoln. This got me thinking: fantasy allegory of historic events? Why not Napoleonic? That could work!"

Finally, I came up with the Land of Vendameria. This will be an allegory of world events during the Napoleonic Wars. The very name "Vendameria" is based on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/13_Vend%C3%A9miaire There might be primitive muskets, but this will be largely "sword and armor." There will be countries based on the Napoleonic countries. So far, I've come up with these:

Empire of Vendameria - French-inspired It will use the colors and emblem of the Kingdoms lion knights.

United Empire of Jarith - Britain inspired. Will be a union of the Castle crownies and the Kingdoms dragon knights.

Kingdom of Prutenia - Latinization of "Prussia." Elves.

Kingdom of Zheska - Based on: Velikoye Knyazhestvo Moskovskoye (Grand Duchy of Moscow) Obviously, it is Russian inspired. Peasant army with few well-uniformed troops.

Free State of Bramborska - Lower Sorbian (Slavic) spelling of the German state of Brandenburg. Elves.

Grand Duchy of Laurazia - Based on this name: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurasia Celtic. I haven't decided what the faction will look like.

Southern Empire of Ferdinland - Based on the name of the King of Spain, Ferdinand VII, during the Napoleonic Wars. Spanish-inspired.

Northern Republic of Ferdinland - A section of the Empire that rebelled. Will be slightly based on the young United States. Militia army with various uniforms.

Great Wilderness of Ferdinland - Assorted savages and monsters. Similar to American West.

Dual Queendom of Schanstein - A combo name of Liechtenstein and its largest city, Schaan. Haven't decided on which faction yet. Will be similar to Austria-Hungary. Due to some big succession dispute, two sisters decide to share the power. Will be very important.

Grand Duchy of Ancecy: Italian based. Its name is based on Savoy's largest city, Annecy.

Kingdom of Brabanland - Belgium/Netherlands-inspired. Mutilation of Belgian national anthem the "Brabançonne." Undecided faction.

Constitutional Monarchy of Kapelialund - Based on "Karelia" in Scandinavia. Dwarves-that-are-like-vikings. ;9

More to come.

Anyways, there will be events similar to the Napoleonic Wars. The Emperor of Vendameria, Bartholomeau, will be similar to Napoleon. The Empress, Brumaire, will be similar to one of his two wives; haven't decided which one yet. Brumaire is, of course, a month on the French Revolutionary calendar. The beginning will probably be the Republic of Ferdinland inspiring a revolt against the Emperor of Vendameria, Leon. The prince, Bartholomeau takes over and is liked by the people. He leads them to conquest over rival nations, lots of NW references, etc, etc.

This will likely be just a side-story I do in any spare writing time I don't use for my alternate history. So, what do you guys think? :D

Post subject: Re: The Land of Vendameria
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:27 pm 
Mould Mason
Mould Mason

This sounds like a great idea! It is almost like a warped version of history, with time periods in different places.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:37 pm 
Crucible King
Crucible King

Baylego wrote:
This sounds like a great idea! It is almost like a warped version of history, with time periods in different places.

Danke! Yep, it basically is a strange mix of genres. It should be fun! :)

EDIT: I'm changing Kapelialund to Kapelund.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:10 am 
Chisel Hand
Chisel Hand

I like that idea too, and have actually been playing around with something similar for a while...
Should be quite interesting to read.

Napoleon wrote:
United Empire of Jarith

;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:06 pm 
Crucible King
Crucible King

AlbaVik wrote:
I like that idea too, and have actually been playing around with something similar for a while...

Napoleon wrote:
United Empire of Jarith

;)

Really? You could still try it out. I can't really think of anything that will be like this, except for perhaps the Fable video games. But then again, I'm judging them just from commercials I've seen for the series.

Yep, me and Zepp keep using Jarith as an in-joke. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:32 pm 
Crucible King
Crucible King

Here is a preview of the style of my story:

Kind of Cardinal Richelieu-esque. :D

Here is another:

Inspired by Assassin's Creed.

EDIT:

Based on a fig I made. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:39 am 
Chisel Hand
Chisel Hand

Beautiful charcters!
Based on some AlternateHistory templates?

AlbaVik wrote:

Napoleon wrote:
United Empire of Jarith

;)

Yes, now i just have to chose what i'm going to write about.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:06 pm 
Crucible King
Crucible King

AlbaVik wrote:
Beautiful charcters!
Based on some AlternateHistory templates?

AlbaVik wrote:

Napoleon wrote:
United Empire of Jarith

;)

Yes, now i just have to chose what i'm going to write about.

Nope, HeroMachine character designer; you should try it: http://heromachine.com/ :)

*waits to see what story you will come up with*

EDIT: Here's the whole set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/55680977@N ... 406355992/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:41 pm 
Mould Mason
Mould Mason

I am definitely going to have to try that out. When are you going to get the first chapters up?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:43 pm 
Crucible King
Crucible King

I'll get the first chapters up really soon. Perhaps Sunday. I've got to upload a new MOC related to the story. :)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next