Change font size
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:15 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Jake Featherston peered across the Potomac...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:09 pm 
Crucible King
Crucible King

This is based on Harry Turtledove's alternate history novel Great War: American Front ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_War_ ... tledove%29 ).

As (Jake) lowered the field glasses from his eyes, Captain Jeb Stuart III asked him, "See anything interesting over there in Yankeeland?"

"No, sir," Featherston answered. His glance slipped to one of the three-inch howitzers sitting in an earthen pit not far away. "Time may come when, if we do see anything interesting, we'll blow it to h*** and gone." He paused to shift the chaw of tobacco in his cheek and spit a stream of brown juice onto the red dirt. "I'd like that."

"So would I, Sergeant (Featherston); so would I," Captain Stuart said.

-excerpt from Harry Turtledove's novel Great War: American Front

My MOC interpretation of one of the first scenes of Harry Turtledove's great novel The Great War: American Front. Confederate-in-a-butternut-uniform Jake Featherston, with field glasses, peers across the Potomac into the United States while conversing with his superior, Captain Jeb Stuart III, who the book described as having a Louis-Napoleon mustache and beard, as they both await WWI to start. I tried to match the book as best I could, while also taking creative liberties. The wall in front of the river is supposed to look like Confederate engineers constructed it as part of the border defenses. It's safe to assume there are rooms and/or trenches directly under where the characters are standing. The book also described mortars nearby and Jake patting one of them. I think I matched it fairly well. :D

Here's the whole set on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/55680977@N ... 976325570/

C&C welcome. :D

Post subject: Re: Jake Featherston peered across the Potomac...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:22 am 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Location: New Castle, PA and From wherever he darn well pleases.
I like this. Neat use of the Superman hair piece. I'd considered using it in my latest MOC, but decided against it for various reasons. I think I like the use of the one piece palm tree in the back. It's subtle, but works really well at the right angle.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:48 am 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

This looks great! I really like your use of the plants with this, especially liking the fuller tree.
I also really like your guys. Very Nice!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:28 pm 
Crucible King
Crucible King

Quickblade wrote:
I like this. Neat use of the Superman hair piece. I'd considered using it in my latest MOC, but decided against it for various reasons. I think I like the use of the one piece palm tree in the back. It's subtle, but works really well at the right angle.

Thanks, QB! Yep, I love the Superman piece; it works really well for Jake "The Snake" Featherston, who the book describes as having oily hair. (In case you know nothing about Turtledove, Featherston is the Confederate Hitler and the main character).

Hikaro liked the palm tree use on Eurobricks; looks like I'll keep having to experiment with that "juniorized" piece. :)

minfigCharmed wrote:
This looks great! I really like your use of the plants with this, especially liking the fuller tree.
I also really like your guys. Very Nice!

Danke! Plants are in my top three favorite LEGO things to work with, I'd say.

About the guys: even they match the book: As I said before, Jake had oily hair, and all Confederate troops in Turtledove's series wear "butternut," the Confederate's word for khaki. The scowling PoP Dastan head kind of matches a "tobacco-spitting" face. Lol. Cap'n Jeb's uniform isn't described, but I'm assuming the Confederate officer corps kept their gray uniforms, though more utilitarian in design, and used "Smokey the Bear hats" like most everyone else. He's described as having reddish-brown hair and the classic French-style mustache and chinbeard, for which I used that Hogwarts professor what's-his-name head.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]