It is currently Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:35 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 11 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: The Ease (or not) of BF Store Search
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:39 am 
Swage Fitter
Swage Fitter

I just thought to make a suggestion here about the BF store;
This is just based on my experience, but I thought there may be more shoppers than just me who ran into the same challenges.

I like the BF store. It is clean and well organized. My only challenge is with the names!

When I look under Categories for the list of items available, I always forget which one is the "Officcer Plume" and which one is the "Commander Crest". I have to click on and look at both to remember.

And not to speak of the weapons! I really appreciate reading about the names and histories of the different weapons once I already clicked on the name. I can impress my friends with knowing the names of all those different swords and their history. Yeah, a Kopesh is like this and a Falcata is like that, and they are both different from a Gladius that is like that.

But the fact of the matter is that these are not common words that people know (unless they are history buffs), and when I'm just looking to purchase something, I like to quickly find things without wondering about the names and what they mean.

Anyone else ran into this?

Internet marketing gurus say if a customer has to click just once more then necessary, or if they find a site just a bit too cumbersome, 50% or more of them leave the store. (Yeah, not much patience these days.)

So, my suggestion would be to either use easier and more common sounding names, or to have tiny thumbnails next to the list of items for quick visual reference.

What do you guys think? ;)

Post subject: Re: The Ease (or not) of BF Store Search
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:50 am 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Location: New Castle, PA and From wherever he darn well pleases.
Here's what I think. I would like to see the inventory have pictures like the old site had. It did make it easier and clearer on which item you were looking for, not to mention that I sorta felt like I was shopping in an old trading post ;) . As far as the names though, I believe that Armothe and Red Bean take pride in educating us with some names of the produced items. That should not be changed. It's not like there are 100 different pole arms with slight variations. Each piece is different enough to deserve it's own name. I can't pronounce some of them anyhow :b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:54 am 
Swage Fitter
Swage Fitter

Quickblade wrote:
Here's what I think. I would like to see the inventory have pictures like the old site had. It did make it easier and clearer on which item you were looking for, not to mention that I sorta felt like I was shopping in an old trading post ;) .

Totally agree! I also like the way the old shop was desinged with little pictures. Hope they will implement something like that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:11 pm 
Forge Master
Forge Master

The new store has the capability to add Meta Tags and Keywords to each product. So for the Khopesh entry we could enter keywords like: "Sword, Blade, Scimitar, Egyptian, etc" and the search tool would be a bit more effective. The reason why we haven't done this? Time. But we do plan on adding them at some point.

As far as the icons go, there really is no way to display a list of all product photos on the front page of an ecommerce solution. What we do plan on doing, however; is adding icons to the categories so if you click on Headgear, you'll at least be able to see generic product pictures for each subcategory. How does that sound?

-A

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:22 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Location: New Castle, PA and From wherever he darn well pleases.
Quote:
What we do plan on doing, however; is adding icons to the categories so if you click on Headgear, you'll at least be able to see generic product pictures for each subcategory. How does that sound?

That sounds great to me. I knew there was a reason that this had not been done, just couldn't remember. I think it would save time and be more convienient for the customers.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:14 pm 
Mould Mason
Mould Mason

I never really had a problem with the store, but I'm not argueing with improvements! :b

YAY, this should be my 50th post! gotta update my sig!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:28 pm 
Swage Fitter
Swage Fitter

Armothe wrote:
As far as the icons go, there really is no way to display a list of all product photos on the front page of an ecommerce solution. What we do plan on doing, however; is adding icons to the categories so if you click on Headgear, you'll at least be able to see generic product pictures for each subcategory. How does that sound?

-A

Love the idea! This would really help! Thanks! ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:15 pm 
Slag Fetcher
Slag Fetcher

I have one minor complaint when i click the back botton it doesnt take me back to last item i was viewing. it takes it back to the generic set of item. i would like it to send me back a page instead of slecting from the list again.

does that make since.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:07 pm 
Chief Smithy
Chief Smithy

Zanymuffin: I don't think that there is any way around this, as it is not a decision made by Armothe and Red Bean, rather by the provider of the web site.

-Dylan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:59 am 
Slag Fetcher
Slag Fetcher

Ok thank you anyways i understand that is outta of ur control.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 11 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next