Change font size
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:18 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: International Customs/Shipping/Duties
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:43 am 
Forge Master
Forge Master

Please do not demand that we devalue the actual contents of the package.

Recently we upgraded our shipping method to be entirely automated. During the installation all foreign-bound packages accurately reflected the value of the contents of the package. By law we are obligated to do so.

Since the first two weeks we've made some minor adjustments to accommodate overseas customers.

If I receive anymore irate e-mails about customs fees being too high I'm going to start cracking skulls.

-A

Post subject: Re: When Shipping to Foreign Countries....
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:14 pm 
Forge Master
Forge Master

Here are the European customs regulations:

2. Postal Packages imported (arriving) from countries outside the EU

2.1 Does the sender have to declare the goods?
Yes, under international postal agreements the sender must complete a customs declaration (CN22 or CN23) which in most cases should be fixed to the package. The declaration includes a description of the goods, the value and whether they are gifts or commercial items. Any Post Office abroad should be able to give advice to the sender.

You are legally responsible for the information on the declaration, therefore it is in your own interest to ensure, wherever possible, that the sender abroad makes a complete and accurate declaration. If no declaration is made, or the information is inaccurate, the package may be delayed while we make further inquiries, or in some cases the package and its contents may be seized.

2.2 Do I have to pay import duties and/or import VAT on goods sent to me?
Most goods arriving in the UK from outside the EU are liable to any or all of the following taxes:
* customs duty
* excise duty
* import VAT
and must be paid whether:
* you purchase the goods or receive them as a gift
* the goods are new or used (including antiques)
* the goods are for your private use or for re-sale.

2.3 What are the limits for customs duty and import VAT?
* Commercial consignments of £18 or less are free from customs duty and import VAT. For example, goods purchased over the internet with an intrinsic value not exceeding £18, will not be charged any duty or VAT but this does not include alcohol, tobacco products, perfume or toilet waters, see paragraph 2.5, 2.6 and section 3.
* If you are sent a gift with a value of £36 or less, and which complies ,with the rules shown in paragraph 2.4. it will be free from customs duty and import VAT, but this does not include alcohol, tobacco, perfumes and toilet waters.
* Customs duty becomes payable if the value of the goods is over £120 but duty is waived if the amount of duty calculated is less than £7.

And I repeat: "Since the first two weeks we've made some minor adjustments to accommodate overseas customers."

-A

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]